What are You Baking the Week of December 25, 2022?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of December 25, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I did not bake on Christmas Day, but I expect that I will be baking later this week, so I am starting a thread so it will be ready.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Hey Skeptic, you can use pancakes like scones... Spread some jam or clotted cream on them and they will be very tasty! Or, I've used pancakes as a replacement for bread to make sandwiches on occasion. It doesn't work for everything but when it does it's great.

We had some unscheduled baking this morning. Kate made up a strada last night to bake today and we bought a panettone too. Violet would not eat either or anything else we had. So I pulled out my little Elizabeth Alston biscuit book and we made a recipe she has for biscuit cinnamon rolls. The recipe only used a cup of flour and 1/3 cup of milk but was supposed to make way more than we had. We had enough and some left over so it was okay but I think the recipe is wrong. I already had biscuit dough too but I'd just put it in the freezer last night.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I made a batch of my regular sandwich bread yesterday. I have gone back to pan loaves from batards. I don't think I let these proof quite long enough before baking as I was in a rush but they still look nice on the outside. I'll see how they look when I cut one.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I want to try making a pound cake in my new big loaf pan.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I love the Elizabeth Alston scone and biscuit cookbook, Aaron.

Mike--It's always special on that first bake with a new pan!

On Tuesday, I baked my Rustic Sourdough Whole Grain Bread in a Cloche again. Instead of an overnight rest period for the levain, I shortened it to four hours to see how that changes the flavor. I also added an extra ¼ cup of water at the start, which made mixing easier, but it still needed another tablespoon of water when I added the salt after incorporating the whole grains and allowing them to rest for 15 minutes. I increased the second rise from 35 to 40 minutes and once again spritzed with water. I baked covered for 52 minutes at 425F, starting with a cold oven. It tested at 195F after that time, so I returned it to the oven for another minute. Once again, it is a lovely rustic loaf.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Today I'm making a batch of bagels and maybe a pound cake. I also spent about an hour cleaning the stove and scrubbing the burned on food off the gas burner parts, that hadn't been done in a while.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

The pound cake is in the oven, it'll be out in a hour and change. This is a recipe I haven't tried before.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

The pound cake came out of the pan nicely and the surface is a lovely caramelized brown that smells wonderful.

IMG_0383

I think dessert tomorrow will be chocolate fondue.

Here's the recipe I used: https://divascancook.com/pound-cake-recipe/

It weighs about 55 ounces.

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Nice looking pound cake Mike , that's basically the same recipe I use except mine uses 8 oz.sour cream or cream cheese in place of milk.I like the long pan.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I love pound cake, that looks great, Mike.

I baked a loaf of semolina/rye/wheat bread.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I will need to make semolina bread soon, but will wait until my son figures out if his Southwest flights back to Pittsburgh (through Midway) are cancelled on Friday or not. They may be driving back.

chocomouse
                          Participant

Today I made bagels.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

The pound cake is a little underdone in the center, but for a first try at a recipe, and in a different size pan, it is quite tasty.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made oatmeal raisin cookies today.

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I've got two pans of Banana bread in the oven.I'll give one to my sis in law that lives by us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.