What are you Baking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    kimbob
    Participant

Happy you can see your sister. Big time lockdowns today at my mother's nursing home. My visiting with her has been curtailed due to delta. Sigh

kimbob
      Participant

Glad we have central air so I can cook and bake anything I want. No such thing as too hot.

Janiebakes
        Participant

Skeptic, I looked up strawberry spoon bread and it looks wonderful. Think I try it with nectarines.
          I made BrianjWoods tomato basil bread today and it turned out very well. Increased basil from one tablespoon to a quarter cup and added a quarter cup of grated parmesan cheese. Recipe calls for baking as one large loaf but I divided it into a loaf and a boule. A little dense but very tasty.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Thanks all for the well wishes for my sister but it's not looking good.

kimbob
            Participant

I'm so sorry, Joan. Prayers for all of you.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I baked my whole wheat sourdough cheese crackers on Friday. The dough had sat long than usual, but the crackers came out fine.

kimbob
                Participant

Just took a 10 inch cheesecake out of the oven. Took 6 8 oz jars of apple pie jelly out of the water bath and the tops are popping. Lovely sound.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Kimbob I love to hear that sound of the jars sealing too!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

It's a symphony when the jars seal!

My husband and I have been feeling the need for a sweet, crunchy little goody, me to have with tea in the afternoon, and he to have as a snack. I found a recipe for Spiced Biscotti that I printed from Cook’s magazine. (When I first had my new oven, Wolf gave a 6-month free access to the Cook’s site, and I scoured it for non-butter cookies.) I used the option of three whole eggs rather than 2 large eggs and 2 yolks. I made two changes: I replaced 1 ¼ cups of the AP flour with white whole wheat flour, and I added 2 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill milk powder. I sprinkled Penzey’s cinnamon-sugar over each log before baking as an added touch. I baked them on the third rack up in my oven, which is just slightly above center.

On another note: I found my 40 cm ruler (inches on the other side) that comes in so handy when I make crackers. I mentioned back around January that I had misplaced it. I found it this week. I had put it in the drawer with the oven mitts instead of the drawer with my scale and various spatulas. I stumbled upon it while looking for a specific mitt, and there it was, nicely set against the side of the drawer.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.