What are you Baking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 8, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Baking plans?

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

On Sunday morning, I made another batch of my Scottish Style Scones (Barley) for breakfast. They bake well in the countertop convection oven. I made them so that I can use up small bits of jam leftover from canning.

skeptic7
        Participant

On Sunday morning I baked a second batch of Strawberry Spoon cake and delivered it to a friend.
          The day before I started mixing Pumpkin-Rye bread from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. It is about 1/3 rye flour and 2/3 whole wheat flour. I chose to use this recipe instead of the Ginsburg recipe many of you recommended because the recipe is in volume not weight. I subsituted 6 cups whole wheat flour for the 6 1/2 cups all purpose flour. I also started off with a short sponge using the rye flour and milk. The rye flour dough looked so wierd. Its an odd grayish color. I was tired by the time the dough was mixed together so I put it into the refrigerator overnight.
          On Sunday I kneaded the dough and formed into 3 large pans, one large loaf and 2 round boules.
          I let it rise but it is flatter and denser than a wheat bread. I had originally planned to give one loaf to a diabetic friend, but the recipe calls for molasses and I can't give this friend anything with sugars.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Skeptic--Thanks for reminding me of that Jane Brody recipe. It was a favorite years ago when I was in my early days of bread baking. That was probably back when I still used the Halloween pumpkin as a baking pumpkin. After seeing your comments, I am making a note to try the recipe again, but only after the weather cools down. Breads with pumpkin in them tend to mold fast in warmer weather.

I do not think with that much whole wheat flour that you would get a high rise. The Ginsberg bread is not a particularly high-rising loaf (whole wheat and rye) either.

I note that she says "whole-grain rye flour." In my notes from years ago, I used 2 cups dark and 1 cup light rye flour. I might try pumpernickel when I work with this recipe again. I also note that I added 2 Tbs. vital wheat gluten, but that is probably because KAF was pushing it, and in those days, I was more trusting or gullible, take your pick. These days, I would probably use some bread flour and substitute in some whole wheat or white whole wheat flour. I would also cut back the yeast a bit, and I would reduce the molasses to 1/3 cup to start. I would replace the 1/4 cup of butter with 3-4 Tbs. of oil (when this book came out, no one thought twice about butter or margarine), and I would use buttermilk.

Now that I have a plan, I need to wait at least two months before I try it!

I also have a note that I liked her Pumpkin Wheat Bread, although I ranked it a "very good" rather than the "excellent" I gave the pumpkin rye. I will have to try that one again as well.

Thanks again for your discussion here. I look forward to revisiting these recipes.

skeptic7
            Participant

Jane; BakerAunt;
              I need to try this again but leave out the molasses, and cut the recipe down to make only one loaf. I might try a half recipe but put it in a large loaf pan to get something that looks like a normal loaf of bread. I think the rye makes it flatter and gives it a richer taste than a pumpkin whole wheat yeast bread.
              I think I am using something called Dark Rye Flour from my local coop. Since I was using a sponge and it was a warm day, I only used 1 teaspoon of yeast.
              I've finished eating one loaf of the bread, it was wonderful with cream cheese. I've given the other round boule away and the last is in the freezer to be given away Saturday.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by skeptic7.
              chocomouse
              Participant

I made Ellen's burger buns.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Supposed to be 98 again here today, too hot to do anything but eat ice cream!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Hey I could eat ice cream any time!

I baked a small pan of corn bread today.

chocomouse
                    Participant

I made a blackberry pie.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

With hot weather predicted for Wednesday, I decided that a morning baking session was in order. I baked Squash, Whole Wheat, and Oat Quick Bread, using a recipe that I adapted from Ken Haedrich’s The Harvest Baker. It nicely used up the remaining grated zucchini from last night. I baked it in a four-well Nordic Ware pan that makes four Bundt loaves. It is an older, darker pan, so I reduced the oven temperature to 325F and baked for 43 minutes. We will start eating one for dessert tonight, and I will freeze the other three.

We ended up having thunderstorms and some heavy rain this morning at early noon. The temperatures may not be as high as feared, but there is still a lot of water in the air.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

I made another batch of sugar cookies, taking them to my sister tomorrow .I have an appointment to see her outside of the nursing home tomorrow.I called and they said I couldn't come in but she'd be allowed outside.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I am glad that you can see her Joan--and the cookies are a wonderful gift for her.

Janiebakes
                            Participant

I need to make bread for m quilt group potluck lunch. I am going to try BrianjWood's tomato basil bread. It call for only one tablespoon of fresh basil in a loaf that uses 6 cups of flour. Thinking I need to increase that a bit. Will let you know how it turns out.

kimbob
                              Participant

My standard www bread.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Joan, I'm wishing your sister well.

I made my standard batch of sandwich/burger buns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.