What are you Baking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I baked Japanese Milk Bread (KAF). The first rise was just barely double after an hour, but the 2nd rise was better and there was tremendous oven spring. I doubled the recipe, but screwed up because I forgot to double the Tangzhong. However, the bread turned out fine.

BakerAunt
      Participant

On Saturday, I baked the Olive Oil Greek Yogurt Brownies from The Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Beginners. (p, 180) for the second time. As I did the first time, I used all white whole wheat flour in place of AP flour, used non-fat Chobani Greek yogurt in place of the 2%, used Dutch Process Cocoa, and added 1 tsp. espresso powder. This time I also added 1 tsp. flax meal and 1 tsp. milk powder. As I did last time, I lined the pan with parchment paper. She uses waxed paper—something I recall my mother doing with cakes when I was growing up, but parchment paper was not widely available in those dark ages. I do know that waxed paper, at too high of a temperature will melt. The brownies came out delicious, so I would make the same changes next time.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

You can make tangzhong bread with anywhere from about 5% to up to 40% of the total flour weight being pre-gelatinized, they all seem to come out reasonably well.

skeptic7
          Participant

I made "Honey-Spice Rye" from the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book. This is a rye - whole wheat quick bread whic is suppose to make a loaf. I baked it in a cast iron frying pan. Its soft and dense. Its quite nice today ( Sunday ) but when cut still warm yesterday is was gummy. The flavor is nice with honey, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and anise. I'm wondering if the recipe was originally Jewish. The liquids are water, honey and lemon juice. Most quick breads I've made recently use buttermilk as the liquid.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Skeptik--most rye breads, even ones that are quick breads, need a resting time. Even when completely cool most rye breads are not ready to be sliced until the next day.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Some of Ginsberg's recipes have you wrap the loaf (after it cools, I think) in plastic and let it sit 24-48 hours before cutting it. I haven't made one of those yet, I probably won't get back on the rye project until October, starting by building a new rye starter.

Rye bread has a much longer time for the starches to gel, wheat starch gels much faster.

skeptic7
                Participant

BakerAunt; Mike;
                  Thanks for the information. I was hoping that quick rye bread would be more like cornbread or wheat breads. I knew that it needed to be cooled before cutting but I didn't realize it needed that long. I let it cool somewhat maybe an hour or so before the first slice and tried again about 8 hours later, but I noticed a change in texture by the next day. What do starches gelling have to do with texture and sliceability. I've noticed changes in wheat bread on the next day but not as drastic. The wheat bread is slightly drier and slices slightly better 24 hours after baking.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It may be inaccurate to call it gelling, but Ginsberg says the starches and the proteins bond over time as the cooled bread sets, reducing gumminess. In some cases he recommends waiting up to 4 days before cutting into a loaf. This bonding slows the rate at which the starches go stale, which is why many rye breads remain soft for a week or longer.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.