What are you Baking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of August 22, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still thinking about some kind of dessert, either the peach sheet cake or maybe a Texas Chocolate sheet cake.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Mike--the siren call of chocolate is hard to resist.

I baked KABC’s Gourmet Soda Crackers on Sunday morning. Right now, they are in the turned-off oven where they will crisp until dinner tonight. I am still fine-tuning my butterless adaptation of the recipe, as well as altering some of the directions. These are nice, plain crackers, so they will go well with leftover soup tonight. I also like them with humus—if any are left after my husband starts nibbling on them. I have had to remind him that these are not wholegrain, and while my change reduces the fat, they are much less healthy than the other crackers I have in rotation, so they should be paired with something healthy, not scarfed alone with abandon. 😊

On Sunday, I also mixed dough for my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. I will bake them next week. These crackers are more whole grain (1 cup AP in the starter to 2 1/2 cups whole wheat, plus 1/3 cup flax meal) and also deliver calcium.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Joan Simpson
        Participant

Pear cobbler is in the oven.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I made a small blueberry pie (using only one pint of blueberries).

chocomouse
            Participant

A small blueberry pie is better than no blueberry pie, Len! This morning I made zucchini brownies. I had planned to top them with a mint icing or glaze or something, but could not find any mint flavoring and didn't want to pick fresh mint to start from scratch. I spied an excess of raspberry flavorings, so used that with melted chocolate chips and a bit of half and half. My kitchen smells great!

skeptic7
              Participant

I'm glad you are having fun with the blueberries and brownies. I made rosemary focaccio yesterday to have something to use with the leftover cream cheese. I wish I had pressed the rosemary into the dough before the last rise. the rosemary falls off as I pick up a piece of bread.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I bought strawberries at the farmer’s market last Saturday. Although they are better than any I could buy at the grocery, they were picked a little too early. I decided on Tuesday to bake my variation on the shortcake recipe that came with the Nordic Ware Shortcake basket pan. I use half barley flour, replace milk with buttermilk, adjust the baking powder and add a bit of baking soda, reduce the salt, and replace butter with canola oil. I will slice the strawberries and mix them with some sugar, and serve them in the center of each little cake for dessert for the next three nights.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I envy you the strawberries. My last purchase at the farmer's market was an heirloom tomato and a Canary melon. I'll have to cut it open soon.

kimbob
                    Participant

Banana walnut bread with mini choc chips from the kaf whole wheat baking book in the oven right now. I put the batter in 3 - 3x6 pans. Only takes about 40 minutes.

kimbob
                      Participant

Just made zucchini bread from the whole wheat book -- first time using that recipe. Hope it's not too dry. I always use currants in my zucchini bread rather than raisins.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

BakerAunt thanks for all the posting of recipes from the old BC!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

My rye starter was one of the casualties of the refrigerator failure, I'm not in a big hurry to start another, though.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

That's too bad about your rye starter, Mike.

I made a batch of my rye/semolina/wheat rolls this afternoon.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

Well, this was my 3rd rye starter, plus the two wheat-based ones I made some years ago when I was testing Peter's book, so I'm getting good experience at creating starters, I guess. 🙂

Joan Simpson
                                Participant

I baked a small peach cobbler today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.