Home Forums Recipes Thick And Crispy Chocolate Chips Walnut Cookies by Sherine

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

Thick And Crispy Chocolate Chips Walnut Cookies
      Submitted by Sherine on May 19, 2014 at 10:44 am

DESCRIPTION
      Eat your heart out, Pepperidge Farm cookies! These are just as good if not better, they are a breeze to make, and they don't cost you $5 for a pack of 8...

SUMMARY
      Yield 24 cookies Source Just me, and of course the KAF live chat for our brainstorming sessions 🙂 File under chocolate chip, cookies, crispy, raisins, thick, walnut

INGREDIENTS
      1/3 of a cup or 75 grams of barely melted butter
      1/3 cup or 60 grams of shortening
      3/4 cup or 135 grams of light brown sugar
      1/2 cup or 106 grams of sugar
      1 extra large egg at room temperature (if cold from the fridge, soak it in a bowl with hot tap water for 10minutes)
      1 cup or 120 grams of KAF AP Flour
      1 cup or 115 grams of KAF Pastry Flour
      1/2 tsp of salt
      1 tsp of baking powder
      1 tsp of baking soda
      1 tsp of vanilla extract
      1/4 tsp of KAF praline and cream extract
      1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
      1 cup of KAF Barry Callebaut semi sweet chocolate chips
      1 handful of golden raisins

INSTRUCTIONS
      This recipe is aiming for thick crispy chocolate chip cookies. Because of that, a lot of the instructions are a little different and more specific. You don't have to follow them if you just want a tasty cookie. They taste amazing regardless. You do, however, need to follow these instructions if what you want is a thick and crispy Pepperidge Farm style cookie.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line DARK baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. (Why dark, you ask? Because I found out that they brown and set faster, thus spread less and bake thicker on dark baking sheets. I’m going for a thick Pepperidge farm style crispy cookie, so spreading is the enemy! That’s also why I use ungreased parchment for this and not my silicone mats: cookies spread more on silicone than parchment.)

2. Heat your butter in the microwave until just melted (it removes the air from the butter and thus limits the cookies spreading in the oven). In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, shortening and sugars until JUST incorporated. Don’t overdo, it will add air into your batter and make your cookies spread too much when they bake. Add the egg, mixing well and scraping the bowl. Reduce speed to low and add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, vanilla, praline and cream. Add chocolate chips walnuts and raisins; mix until well combined. Chill for half an hour to an hour, and up to overnight in the fridge. You don't like raisins? Don't use them! The cookies will taste great regardless.

3. Scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 14 to 15 minutes for a 2 Tbsp cookie (On dark pan, in my oven, exactly 14 minutes), 17 to 19 min for a "husband special giant 4 Tbsp cookie". They will still be soft, that's ok, they will crisp up as they cool. Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. (Add a min if the sheet and cookie dough are ice cold from the fridge).

TIP: I scoop the dough onto sheets right away (while it’s soft and easy to scoop) and then chill the sheets in the fridge for half an hour to an hour. I find the batter harder to scoop when I wait overnight. You don't have time to wait at all? Just scoop them up and toss them in the oven right away! They won't be as thick, but they still will be tasty!

Happy Baking!

Sherine

TIP: If you use a cookie scoop, do NOT roll them in your hands. The cookie scoop adds to the "chunk" effect of the cookie once its baked.

STORAGE: Once completely cooled, I store them in a Tupperware with a slice of bread.

VARIATIONS: The recipe works just as well with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.

NOTE: I use a standard oven, not a convection oven. If you have to use a convection oven, keep in mind that they tend to run hotter than the dial set temp, so use a thermometer. Also, because of the constant air venting in convection ovens, what you cook tends to surface dry and brown faster than a regular oven.

comments
      Submitted by dachshundlady on Tue, 2014-06-17 18:50.
      I don't want to buy pastry flour but I do have KAF AP and bread. Any suggestions?
      Submitted by Sherine on Sat, 2014-06-21 21:27.
      I'd go all AP flour in this case. Bread flower is even higher in gluten than AP, so stick with the lowest gluten flour all the way. They might not have exactly the same texture, but they will still be tasty cookies 🙂
      Do you have everything else on the recipe? including the praline and cream and vanilla extracts?

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.