Table Queen Squash

Home Forums Gardening Table Queen Squash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My husband had some Table Queen Squash seeds, given to him by a student who had completed her degree and was moving, and he decided to plant three seeds. (As we retired three years ago, clearly he has had the seeds for a while.) We now have a jungle of squash plants and vines that he has had to drape over the garden fencing to keep them from overrunning the garden. They are also producing lots of squash, as the flowers appear to be a favorite of the bumble bees.

Is anyone familiar with this variety? It appears to be an heirloom variety of acorn squash. According to the picture and what we have read, it is ready when it is a dark green. How dark is dark green?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to cook it, other than halving it and stuffing it? I'm assuming that if cut into chunks and roasted, the skin would be edible, as it is for acorn squash.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Not sure this answers all your questions, but it does say when and how to pick and store it:
        Table Queen Acorn Squash

BakerAunt
        Participant

Thanks, Mike. That is helpful.

chocomouse
          Participant

I have planted Table Queen in the past -- it's a variety of acorn squash. I just halve and bake it, put a little butter in the cavity, and eat it from the shell. I never ruin my squash by adding anything else to it! LOL You eat cooked squash skin?

BakerAunt
            Participant

When I roasted some acorn squash in slices last year, the recipe said that the skin was edible. My husband did not care for it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.