Stupid Designs for Kitchens

Home Forums General Discussions Stupid Designs for Kitchens

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

I was looking at a House magazine, an issue that was devoted to Kitchens, and i realized that none of these kitchens was actually designed for someone to cook in -- or eat in -- or live in. They were talking about clean lines and smooth finishes. Not counter space convenient to the range, or storage space for large pans, or traffic around the refrigerator or dedicated baking area. I didn't spend much time with the magazine but none of the kitchens seem designed to work in, or even to accomodate people. Some of the marble counters look like just the right height for a running child to hit, the water taps weren't made to be easily opened by people with arthritis, heaven forbid anyone have a wheel chair or walker.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

We redecorated our kitchen and now it has NO CLOCKS except the tiny one of the microwave that is usually too dark to read. A minor nit compared to what you're raising but it drives me nuts.

How do you all feel about marble counters? I wanted one once and my contractor said it was too soft for a counter and he would happily supply me with a slab of marble to put on the counter and use instead.

skeptic7
        Participant

I have a cheap formica counter top, and am relatively happy with it. I use cutting boards for cutting and trivets for hot pots. Marble seems like a good idea but it does scratch and burn and is hard to care for and replace. A nice slab would be great for pastries and easier to clean. Supposedly the artificial quartz counters have enough silicon to be a hazard to the people who cut and polish it so that rules that out. Slate would make the kitchen look like a chemistry lab.
          Can you put up a clock on the wall somewhere? I use the oven clock a lot but that only works when the oven isn't in use because then it shows the temperature.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Our first contractor recommends against marble. He used it in his own kitchen and commented: "It can't take the heat."

We chose quartz. I didn't want to baby marble.

Our clock is also on the microwave. It's large enough to see, but when the microwave is in use, you can't see the time.

Like Skeptic, I've noticed that HGTV and other magazines seem to favor kitchens that are "stylish," but completely impractical. That's odd, as they are almost always outfitted with a very expensive range and hood.

We did not get as much counterspace as we had anticipated. Another two feet would be nice, and the peninsula came out smaller than the one it replaced. I was able to reuse a buffet piece, a large bookcase, and some pine shelves to cut down on cabinet costs, and they look good, so no regrets there. We are discussing adding another bank of upper cabinets that would go over that bookcase and buffet.

We chose utility cabinets for the back area, and they are in a narrow space across from the washer and dryer. Our footprint did not allow for a separate laundry room, so we tucked it away there. Unfortunately, when measuring the washer and dryer, we did not measure that is BEHIND each appliance, and that has made the area more snug than I would have liked. The utility cabinets hold a lot, but they are very deep, which has its own issues when trying to find something. I am looking into ordering at least two more shelves. (Cabinet makers do not give you enough shelves.)

However, my husband and I can work in the kitchen now and not run into each other, and the refrigerator no longer opens across from the stove, which is disaster in a galley kitchen. I do have to walk to the end of the kitchen for my flours and oils, but I figure the exercise is good for me.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Candymakers have been pouring hot sugar solution on marble surfaces for over a century, marble is fine in a kitchen, you just have to get the right kind and make sure it is thick enough.

In all honesty, the bigger problem is that marble stains easily and you can't use strong acids on it, it'll etch.

We went with blue pearl granite countertops, and haven't had any problems with them in over 20 years, except where a plumber tried to pull himself up by holding on to the granite edge by the sink and cracked it.

We also have a 30x48 marble top that I've poured many a hot candy on.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Knowing our first contractor, who has three sons, I suspect that someone put a hot pan down on it. We never got the details.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
                aaronatthedoublef
                Participant

I have used marble slabs for candy and chocolate making and I've heard it's good for pastry but never tried that.

The contractor who did not want to put marble in for the counter said (as Mike says) that it stains and his hard to maintain. He also said it cracked easier than I would have thought. He put in granite - which was exotic out in Seattle back then - and then I had a 12 foot long, unfinished butcher block island that I loved. The cabinets were natural cherry and the floors were beech. I loved that kitchen. It had great work triangles.

Our kitchen here is also granite with a smaller butcher block island that is finished. I'd prefer unfinished but I didn't have a say. Still, good work triangles and the island here has a sink in the middle which is handy. We're plumbed for a pot filler but it would require drilling holes through the cabinets and as the sink is just across from the range it wouldn't add much utility for the cabinet space we'd lose.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

As an interesting aside, I get emails from a company that sells knife sharpening supplies, they say that the evidence is that end grain butcher block is actually harder on knives than the usual (and cheaper) edge grain.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

That Seattle kitchen sounds lovely, Aaron. We went with an ash floor in our kitchen--the last the local place had. There will not be more in Indiana for a long time, thanks to the Emerald Ash Bore.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

The Emerald Ash Borer has been spotted in Lincoln, and we're wondering how long our two ash trees will last. The city has started taking out several thousand ash trees in parks and street right of way. We planted 2 chestnut trees in the front yard this fall that we're hoping will take their place eventually.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.