• Author
    rottiedogs
    Participant

macy's 100% whole wheat bread
      Submitted by macy on July 30, 2004 at 10:22 am

DESCRIPTION
      Macy's 100% Whole Wheat Bread

SUMMARY
      Yield 0 File under Yeast Bread/Rolls (not sourdough)

INSTRUCTIONS
      If you have a Zo and a digital scale, this recipe is written for you. But, I use the ABM only to mix and knead (because it really excels at that), so if you don't have one, you can easily adapt the kneading time to whatever's appropriate for your stand mixer. I set the mix and knead cycle on the ZoV20 to the maximum 20 minutes and I find that the flour hydrates well enough after 10 to determine if I need to adjust the flour or water. If kneading only takes a few minutes on your mixer, I would give it a 10-20 minute autolyse between mixing and kneading, and make sure the gluten is well developed before any subsequent additions of flour.

Try the suggested measurements first, and then adjust from there to suit your own taste. This recipe is very flexible. I am working on an oatmeal version to post at a later date.

Macy

8 oz. skim milk
      1 pkg. (2 1/4 tsp.) active dry yeast
      1 egg
      water
      85 gm honey (75-105g, to taste)
      475 gm whole wheat flour (about 4 cups lightly spooned)
      2 tsp. salt (1 3/4 to 2 1/4, to taste)
      2 Tbl. walnut oil or 2-3 Tbl. cold butter to taste

1 egg white
      1 tablespoon water

In a 16-oz liquid measuring cup, warm the milk to 100-110F in the microwave (50-55 sec in mine). Whisk the yeast into the milk just to dissolve (do not proof). Crack the egg into the cup and add enough water to bring the liquids up to 12 oz. total (1 1/2 cups). Pour the mixture into the bottom of the bread machine pan. Set the pan on a scale and zero. Pour the honey (slowly) into the pan. Zero and measure in the flour. Put the salt on top.

Place the pan in the machine and program the mix/knead setting of the homemade cycle for 20 min. (setting all other steps of the program to 0). Let the dough knead for 10 minutes before making any adjustments. The dough should have come together into a ball (or clear the sides of the mixer bowl). When you tap it lightly, it should feel somewhat firm and very tacky, but not cling to your fingertips. Add flour or water if necessary and continue kneading. At the add-in beep (after 15 minutes) add the oil or butter and finish kneading to incorporate. If using butter, cut it into 9 fat sticks and poke them down into the dough in 3 additions, at 5-, 4- and 3-minutes.

Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead briefly to bring the dough together into a smooth ball. Place the dough, smooth side up in a clean, deep bowl (do not oil the bowl or the dough) and cover with a plate or plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until it doesn't return your finger indentation (1.5 - 2 hours). It should at least double. Deflate, knead briefly to form back into a ball and rise again (1 - 2 hours). The second time it will rise a bit higher--about triple for me. By the end, the dough should have lost its stickiness and you won't need much, if any flour on the counter to keep it from sticking.

Divide the dough and round the portions. Let rest 10-30 minutes until the gluten relaxes and the dough starts to puff slightly. Shape into loaves and proof (45-90 minutes). If all is well, you should get better than double volume and expect good oven spring. Brush the tops with egg wash and slash. Convection bake at 325F on bottom rack position (or whatever your oven manual recommends), to an internal temp of 195 degrees, about 25 minutes. If you don't have convection, try 350F and then reduce to 325 degrees if the tops start to brown too much.

MILK - I have had problems getting good gluten development with whole milk. The dough feels more playdoughy and less springy and doesn't rise well. By contrast, skim milk makes a very nice dough, so I assume it is the fat interfering. I have tried scalding milk and removing the skin, but haven't found the end result to be any different than using unscalded milk. You can substitute nonfat dry milk and water. You can use the milk cold from the fridge and not dissolve the yeast (or maybe use instant). It takes an hour or two longer for the dough to start rising, but it does and may give you more freedom to leave the house if you have an appointment or errands to run. In the ABM, dry yeast goes on top of the flour, at the opposite end from the salt. In a stand mixer, mix the yeast and salt into the flour before adding the liquids.

SWEETENERS - Honey is my choice, but you could substitute maple syrup, molasses, malt syrup, etc., if you prefer. 75g is about 3 tablespoons and 105g is about 1/3 cup. Start at 85g (about 1/4 cup) and adjust up or down to taste. You could probably even cut it down to 2 tablespoons (I haven't tried it), but I wouldn't cut it out entirely, because the yeast need a supplemental food source. Whole wheat flour does not have barley malt added like white flour does.

FATS - The egg somehow subdues the "wheatiness"--that's the way I would describe it. Maybe that is what other people describe as bitterness. Anyway, it makes a difference in both flavor and texture, so leave the egg out only if it is too mild-tasting and you prefer a more assertive wheaty taste. I prefer walnut oil over butter for sandwich loaves, especially the more flavorful toasted walnut oils. I haven't tried other oils so can't offer an opinion beyond that.

FLOURS AND HYDRATION - I like Bob's Red Mill and KA traditional whole wheat flours. Bob's is a fine grind and KA is a more medium-fine grind. Both develop really nice gluten and have good flavor in this bread (better than white wheat IMO). Bob's absorbs more water than KA. With Bob's, I generally use 12 oz. liquid and 465g flour; with KA, I can cut the liquid back to 11.5 oz with 475g flour. The amount of honey has a little impact on the hydration too.

FERMENTATION - You can speed things up a little by dissolving the yeast in warm milk, doing the bulk fermentations at about 82 degrees and the proofing at 90, but the flavor is better with the longer rises at room temp. You can get by with the lesser amounts of salt, honey and butter or oil with the extra time, but that should come as no surprise. From the time I start measuring ingredients to the time I can put the cooled loaves away it's usually 7-8 hours. If you use instant yeast, you might want to cut back to 1 tsp. so that it doesn't ferment too fast (or use cold milk).

SCALING - For sandwich and toaster-size bread, KA's Danish loaf pan (12 x 4 x 2.25") is my favorite, which takes 1.75 pounds of dough. The size I make most often is 7.5 x 3.75 x 2.25" - a one pound loaf. If you don't have either of these, try 1.5 pounds in an 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5" or use the dough to make pull-apart rolls. This recipe makes about 2 pounds of dough. When I have excess dough, I usually turn it into sandwich buns (2.25 to 2.5 oz per hamburger-size bun) or dinner rolls.

FAVORITE SHAPING METHOD:

Important--Start by rounding the dough after you divide it, and let it rest until the gluten relaxes and the ball starts to puff. This creates a smooth skin that will form the top of your loaf and help it keep its shape.

1. Turn the ball of dough over, smooth side (top) down, flatten firmly into a round disk (about as wide as your pan is long)--pressing the air out as you go. (If you're making a long loaf like the KA Danish or a pullman pan, press into an oval.) You can use a rolling pin if you need to, but try and keep your circle or oval even.

2. Fold the top of the circle down over the middle and press to seal firmly with the heal of your hand. The dough should look like it's smiling at you.

3. Fold in the sides to square off the ends and press to seal. If you need to flatten it more to extend the length, you can do that--you'll get used to the dimensions you're shooting for with practice. Each time you fold and press, it grows a little.

4. Bring the top folded edge down to meet the bottom edge and seal well with the heal of your hand. Then rock and roll the tube slightly to flatten the seam and form a round log. Position it so the seam is underneath.

5. Seal the ends by pressing down with the sides of your hands and tuck the flaps under. Ideally, the finished log will be the same length as your pan and an even thickness from one end to the other.

6. Place log in pan, seam side down.

7. Press the dough into the pan with your palm so that it fills into the corners a bit and has a nice, even top.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by rottiedogs.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.