It never rains but it pours

Home Forums General Discussions It never rains but it pours

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I generally try to avoid plumbing repairs and anything that involves being on a ladder. We've got a bulb out on a cable light about 18 feet off the ground in our great room, no way I'm climbing up there to replace it, even if we had a ladder that went that high. But it isn't worth $100 to get an electrician out just to replace one light bulb.

BakerAunt
      Participant

As it turns out, my stepdaughter's I-phone is a water resistant model. It was in water, in the canoe (on its side) for only seconds. It rested for 24 hours in organic brown rice (sigh, only rice I had), and it is now working well. Whether that continues remains to be seen. She was able to hold up her camera when the canoe tipped on its side, so it stayed dry. All of this was due to trying to pull a can off the bottom of the lake (water was about 3-4 feet deep), clearly not something two people should try to do with their paddles while in a canoe, although I understand the environmental impulse.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I won't try to post a link, but the Wall Street Journal has an article today on delays in getting appliances with the headline: Just 180 more days until your new oven arrives: appliance delays cause havoc.

I fully sympathize with the situation homeowners are facing.

I'm glad we were able to get our dishwasher, refrigerator and freezer working again. We did get the disposal replaced, I wound up ordering the model we wanted from Lowes online, I think it actually came from a store in the Omaha area.

cwcdesign
          Participant

When I went in to pick up a disposal at Lowe's back in July (August?), I was surprised how few they had on hand. Fortunately they had the one we needed.

I'm getting ready to replace the windows and slider on my condo (in case I didn't mention, I purchased the one I've been living in for 6 years back in June). My contractor said to expect 4 months. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

BakerAunt
            Participant

A four month delay for windows is the norm for now. We ordered the windows for the renovation of our apartment over the garage at the end of June and were told to expect them the end of October. I hope they are on schedule. We still do not know when the siding might become available.

On our way back from my husband's annual cousins' reunion in Michigan, we stopped in South Bend. The second store was a furniture store that also sells futons. We have decided that the "bedroom" in the apartment should not have a dedicated guest bedroom, as we already have one in the house. So, we are getting rid of the two twin beds and putting in a futon that opens to a double bed. We were impressed with the evolution of futons! The one that we liked was in stock. The manager told us that the other one we were considering (a little less expensive but not as nice), was on order, and she has been told at least ninety days if not longer for more to come in. They definitely have supply issues, and not just because they are near a lot of students at Notre Dame who like futons.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I have a small siding repair I need done, I can't even get anyone to come out and look at it.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.