Ice Cream Cones

Home Forums General Discussions Ice Cream Cones

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has a story on ice cream cones, apparently they're experience a rebirth with new flavors and shapes. Hopefully this permalink will work for everyone. (The sidebar picture of a fish-shaped ice cream cone is hilarious!)

Ice Cream Cones

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Sigh, there is a pay wall, so I could not read it, but I did see the picture of the different colored cones before the article was covered.

I've always been a big fan of ice cream cones over dishes and spoons when I used to buy ice cream. Even then, I considered my choice more environmentally sound. I always preferred the sugar cones to the styrafoam looking ones. My first "made-in-the-store" cone was at a little independent ice cream store near UC Riverside, where one of my sisters went to school. I think that they used a krumkake griddle. I've always wanted to try that, and I own an electric krumkake griddle, but now I will need to figure out how to make them without the forbidden butter, and I would use low-fat frozen yogurt inside.

It's a timely subject because I found a brand new--never used Dash pint ice cream maker at the thrift store today for $2, and I have an email for a low-fat frozen yogurt recipe. When I get around to trying it, I'll let everyone know how the recipe and the little machine work.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The Wall Street Journal has an odd definition of 'share'. :sigh:

Anyway, here's a different link to the fish-shaped ice cream cones:

fish cones

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

My grandfather's drug store had rectangular pieces of ice-cream cone material for making ice cream sandwiches. I've not seen those anywhere in recent years, though. (As a former soda jerk, the challenge was to press down slowly enough that you didn't crack the shell.)

The only ice cream sandwiches you can buy these days have a soft cake-like exterior, often chocolate flavored. I've got a Norpro gadget for cutting and pressing the sandwiches once you've baked the cake-like exterior.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Those fish cones are really neat!

RiversideLen
              Participant

There was a place that offered a chocolate chip cookie ice cream cone. I had to have that, it's perfect, ice cream and a chocolate chip cookie cone! Unfortunately, it just wasn't that good but I love the concept.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Ice cream sandwiches made with chocolate chip cookies sound simpler, but carb alert!!

BakerAunt
                  Participant

And for some of us, saturated fat alert!

BakerAunt
                    Participant

As we have been discussing ice cream sandwiches, I am posting a link to a recipe in the latest Smitten Kitchen blog email:

Darn, I wish that I could try these, but it won't happen without people to eat most of them.

aaronatthedoublef
                      Participant

Anyone here looking to unload bake goods can always send things to my kids. I have two rail thing teenage boys who will happily help you as will their little sister.

This article was great. I didn't know ice cream cones had ever gone way but clearly people are doing knew things with them.

Making ice cream sandwiches out of ice cream cone material. I would break a lot, particularly if I was rushing. We've had chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches here in New England at least since I was in college (just had my 35 reunion in May). We sold Chipwhiches at the school snack bar at night. Now, they too, have gone fancy with various cookie choices and making them on demand.

aaronatthedoublef
                        Participant

Just looked at BA's link and those look AWESOME. Or you could make them with graham crackers and make s'more ice cream sandwiches!

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Traditional wafer-style ice cream cones haven't really gone away, though these days it seems like waffle or sugar cones are easier to find, both at the grocery and at ice cream parlors.

The flat rectangles of ice cream cone wafers that my grandfather's store had for making ice cream sandwiches do seem to have disappeared, I can't even find them at restaurant supply houses.

chocomouse
                            Participant

A similar treat I used to make years ago when my children were young is Puddingwiches. It uses graham crackers layered with pudding and then frozen. Think chocolate grahams with vanilla pudding that has peanut butter mixed into it! I'm thinking maybe one could adapt the basic idea to meet special dietary needs, such as using sugar-free pudding mix (or from scratch, but who wants to do that mid-summer), low fat milk, maybe even gluten free grahams crackers (or make gluten-free ice cream sandwich cookies). I might even make some for myself later today!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.