Daily Quiz for November 7, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for November 7, 2019

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Lean cuts of beef are best when cooked using what types of cooking methods?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for November 7, 2019]

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

What about covering them with bacon and roasting? Would that work and would it be a wet or dry method?

BakerAunt
        Participant

I selected the correct answer.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I picked correct also.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Covering with oil or bacon or barding a lean cut of beef to add some of the otherwise missing fat is a way to use dry methods with a lean cut of beef, but if not done thoroughly the meat can still get dried out and become tough.

A low and slow approach is another way to use dry cooking methods with a lean meat. When I make an eye of round, for example, I often start it in a hot (500F) oven for a few minutes, but then turn the temperature way down (to 250 if not lower) to let it coast for several hours. Some recipes have you turn the oven completely off, but my oven doesn't appear to be well enough insulated for that to work.

BakerAunt
              Participant

When I turn my oven off, if it is over a certain temperature, the fans come on to cool it down. It would work with 250, however, since the oven doesn't bother with a temperature that low. (I had to explain that to my husband when I cooked granola, turned off the oven, and he didn't hear the fan.)

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My DCS ovens will go all the way down to 140 degrees. I use a low setting like that for making croutons.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

I didn't explain it very well. What I meant is that my oven will bake at a lower temperature than 250F, but that the oven fans don't bother cooling the oven down, once it is turned off, when it was used for low temperature baking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.