Beer Bread

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aaronatthedoublef
    Participant

Hi,

Does the beer in beer bread give it any rise? Is there enough active yeast left in beer to give it a lift? I was reading an article that pointed to this recipe for beer bread.

The pictures look more like a quick bread and I would suspect the rise comes more from the baking powder than the beer in the yeast.

I've used beer in pizza dough before and I loved the taste it added. I used a nice amber ale. But I still added yeast to the mixture.

Thanks

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

My sister made a beer bread a long time ago, and it was like a quick bread. All the pictures I've seen look like quick bread unless yeast is used.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Brewers were the original suppliers of yeast in pure enough form and sufficient quantity for large scale use by bakers, in the foam skimmed off the top of the vat. I think most commercial beers have been heat-pasteurized, and yeast dies if it gets over 138 degrees, so adding beer to a recipe adds flavor but probably no active yeast.

Beer brewing and bread baking are both skills that have been around for thousands of years, nobody really knows which came first.

I think one of the microbrewery/restaurants in Lincoln may use some unpasteurized beer in a beer bread that also uses some spent grain, but they've got access to the raw products. I don't know if all the yeast comes from the beer or if they supplement it. I've never been all that fond of their bread, the residual beer taste is too strong for this non-beer-drinker.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.