Any thoughts on Breadtopia

Home Forums General Discussions Any thoughts on Breadtopia

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cwcdesign
    Participant

So my sons suggested to my sister that she get me a gift card to King Arthur for my birthday. But my sister being my sister decided that I needed $150 at Breadtopia - I’ve just looked at the site and they don’t have ingredients that I would use. I guess I will buy some equipment that I really don’t need. It is such a waste of money - I thought the idea of a gift card was to give some one something they could use.

BakerAunt, tell me about your Emile Henry long baker. Do you use it a lot? It seems to be the only item that I would consider. I’ve noticed that some of the KA recipes I want to try call for that pan - it’s not something I would normally consider getting.

Spread the word
      chocomouse
      Participant

An idea on a different track: Your son Will is very interested (and gaining skills!) in cooking/baking. Consider using some of the gift card money to buy something for him - for birthday, Christmas, whatever. I don't know what is available on Breadtopia, but you might find something perfect for him.

cwcdesign
        Participant

I would but I just sent him USA pans from Amazon, some of his favorites from King Arthur and a Baking Steel — I honestly didn’t see anything at Breadtopia he would want either except maybe mason cash bowls - the long baker is not something I would buy for myself, but maybe . . . Im pretty disappointed in their offerings

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I haven't paid a lot of attention to that site, and have never bought from them, as it always seems like most of what they have I either buy in larger quantities or can find cheaper, if not both.

I tend to buy mostly from Webstaurant and Bakers Authority these days.

skeptic7
            Participant

There are some nice things on the Breadtopia site that are rather expensive but cute. The larger kitchen scales, the cast iron pizza pan, some of the bread knives, and the expensive thermometers. Look around for something that you wouldn't buy if its your own money. I especially like the wooden bread board.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

My son gave me a very nice bread knife for Christmas, but it is so sharp and moves through bread so easily that it is very easy to cut myself on it, so I tend to use the older bread knife most of the time.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Sorry for the delayed response, CWCdesign. We arrived home last night after driving to Colorado for my younger stepson's wedding, then driving back.

I love the Emile Henry long baker. I always grease it with Crisco, then coat with cream of wheat (farina) and have had no sticking problems. I particularly like it for the King Arthur Pompanusuc Porridge bread.

I also own the Flame Top baker, although I never use it on the stove top. I have used it for baking the King Arthur Dutch Oven rolls, and they turn out so soft inside with a slightly hard crust. I want to try baking a bread loaf (again, King Arthur has recipes). As long as you grease the Emile Henry and coat with farina, it does fine. (Semolina tends to burn.)

Some other items I noticed that I bought from KABC but are on Breadtopia:

I'm a fan of dough rising buckets (also at KABC). Breadtopia has 2-qt. and 6-qt. but not the useful 4-qt size, which works well for a 2-loaf recipe.

They have an offset bread knife. I use mine for slicing biscotti. I also like it for round loaves. The offset protects the knuckles of your hand! There is a shorter and a longer one. I own a longer one.

I own the Extra Big and Large Timer. Actually, I have two. The keys on the older one (probably 10-12 years old?) have become harder to press, so I bought a second one (and will keep using the other as well until it bites the dust). It is loud enough that I hear it no matter where I am in the house.

I have an infrared thermometer, which I use to check the skillet when making English muffins.

The oven gloves are nice. I have a black pair from KABC. I use them all the time, as I find it easier to get a grip on pots and pans.

I would be tempted by the tortilla presses.

I hope you find some items that you can use and enjoy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.