2022 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2022 Garden Plans

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

That happened more than 10 years ago. I was watering the garden and I saw the rabbit move close to the tomato. I didn't think too much of it, I never chase them away. Then his nose started to wiggle and then he was on the tomato. Well, once bit, he owns it. I realized this was a Kodak Moment. I put my hose down and slowly moved away as not to startle it. Went into the house, got the camera, changed the lens to the longest one I had, went back out and luckily he was still there. So I started taking pictures, slowly getting closer. When I got too close, he took off.

Sacrificing the tomato for the pic was worth it.

wabbbit‑1

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

This is what you call catching him in the act lol!

RiversideLen
        Participant

My small Mountain Magic tomatoes are finished. I do have some in the freezer. Now my beefsteaks are starting to ripen. They are huge! Talk about good timing.

beefsteak

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          Joan Simpson
          Participant

Mmmm Mmmm Len those tomatoes would make a good sandwich,they are beautiful!

BakerAunt
            Participant

The tomato plant we got from the farmers market has finished producing. Those tomatoes would not necessarily win beauty contests, but the flavor was so sweet and so excellent. I had my last turkey bacon tomato sandwich today. The Gurney tomatoes are starting to ripen, and I hope to use them in some cooking. I doubt that there will be enough to freeze for sauce.

Our cherry tomato plant has started producing lots of cherry tomatoes.

My husband picked the first two little honey-nut squashes. We have another six on their way to ripening, and two that if the weather holds might eventually ripen. One of the Gurney seeds produced large squashes that resemble butternuts but have somewhat longer curved necks. Two of those are well on their way to being ripe. Whether the other three will ripe in time remains to be seen.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

When I have really big tomatoes like that, I like to have them with tuna salad in the middle, it makes a very satisfying meal.

chocomouse
                Participant

BakerAunt, you've spoken several times about your favorite winter squash, the honeynut. I'm interested in growing some next year, because they are often described as "one serving" each. That's a positive factor, but I'm really more interested in the flavor. How does it compare to its parent squash, the regular butternut? And to buttercup squash?

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Chocomouse--the honey nut squashes are sweet, and they are very much like the butternut squash. I will be more specific after we start eating these. I had trouble finding butternut squashes last year, so I do not have a clear memory of the difference. The honey nuts can range in size. The first two my husband picked are quite small, but some are about double that size.

I've not cooked buttercup squash. I'll have to try one from the farmers' market.

skeptic7
                    Participant

I've had the honeynut at the farmer's market. They look like a minature butternut squash about the size of a softball. Very sweet and tasty.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

They're calling for a low of 39 here tonight. No frost warning yet, and it looks like the lows for the next two weeks are mostly around 50, but colder weather is definitely in the air.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Tonight we ate the last of the Celebrity and Roma tomatoes. I'm hoping the nice-looking and abundant Brandywines ripen before the first frost (average date October 15). However, the daytime highs have been and are predicted to be in the low 60s, with nights 40s an 50s, not great for ripening tomatoes. So vine ripened tomatoes are not likely to happen.

We prefer the buttercup squash over butternut -- they are sweeter and more reliably neither too wet nor too dry. However, the butternut shape is much easier to prepare for cooking. I will be planting a couple of honey nuts next summer. Thank you for your input, BakerAunt and Skeptic.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

We picked quite a few eggplants today, and didn't pick them all. The plants are still blooming, but as cold weather moves in we are likely nearing the end of the eggplants and tomatoes.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I'm hoping more of the tomatoes from the Gurney's plant will go ahead and ripen. So far, only two have done so.

We are on our third picking of beans from the planting my husband did last spring. We have really enjoyed having them.

My husband has now picked eight of the honey-nut squashes. We may have a couple more. I want him to start picking the large, more butternut squash ones. One is the correct color. Whether the biggest one will ripen in time remains to be seen.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I think I've now canned as many quarts of tomato juice this year as I did last year, 27. If we don't get an early frost, I figure we could still get two good pickings based on the green tomatoes already on the vines.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

All week long the expected low for tonight in Lincoln has been fluctuating in the low 30's. It dropped to 30 yesterday and just went down to 29. It's a one-day cold snap, the two-week forecast only shows one other day where it even gets into the mid 30's.

But it might be enough to zap local gardens.

I haven't seen a frost warning on Accuweather yet, but they might issue one later today. I'm not going to pick the green tomatoes but I'll pick most of them that have started to turn and most of the eggplants that are left.

Soon I'll have to start the 2023 Gardens topic.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 142 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.