2022 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2022 Garden Plans

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I picked 3 big bowls of tomatoes, most of them are ripe but maybe as much as a quarter of them that would be better if they had a few more days, total weight is well over 20 pounds. If we don't get a frost tonight, there are still enough green tomatoes for another good picking in a week to 10 days and possibly another a week or two later if the weather holds up. (There have been years when we were still picking tomatoes off the vines in early November.)

This should give me enough tomatoes for another 6-7 quarts of tomato juice, which would put me well over last year's yield.

I also picked at least 6 pounds of eggplant, taking everything larger than my little finger. A lot of the white ones had turned yellow, but even a lot of the smaller ones are yellow so I don't think it's just a question of being too ripe, not sure what causes them to go yellow.

That'll give me another research project for the winter, I guess. My major research project will be to delve into categorizing layers of bread crust as part of my 'bread shapes = bread flavor' project, possibly with the aid of a microscope. And hopefully I'll even get back into the rye project.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Our temperatures may go down to freezing tonight. My husband has covered the tomatoes and bell peppers. The squashes are on the ground and should be ok. We have not gotten many tomatoes off those two plants started from seed. There are plenty of green ones but they are not ripening yet.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We did not get a frost in our garden last night, though some friends who live only a few miles away did lose several types of plants, including basil.

Looks like it could be two weeks before there's another cold wave deep enough to present a freeze warning.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I tore out my aerogardens today, most of the lettuce had bolted but the parsley was still doing OK. It'll take a couple of days to clean and sanitize them, I may get new gardens planted by the weekend.

BTW, parsley can grow some big roots, some of them were bigger around than my pinky finger!

chocomouse
            Participant

I've mostly cleaned out my gardens although we have not had a killing frost yet. I've left the Brandywine tomatoes, hoping they will ripen, along with the Brussels sprout. I brought in all the herbs from the deck, but left lettuce, spinach and onions for now. When I return from a trip next next week, I will start up the Aerogarden with herbs, and fill planters with greens under the Gro lights. It was the worst gardening season I've ever had. Only a few squash, poor cruciferous crop, no repeat crops of beans, only the tomatoes and berries were tremendous producers. I'm looking forward to next year!!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

The tomato season was late getting started, no tomatoes until mid-July and not many until mid-August, but turned out decent, and I might still get another 2-3 weeks of tomatoes if the weather cooperates. (The two week forecast now has 5 days in mid 30's.)

The white eggplants were very productive, the purple ones much less so. Still not sure why I got so many yellow ones, though.

Both types of melons were something of a disappointment, but at least I've demonstrated that I can grow melons in the area to the north of the tomato plants.

I might try spaghetti squash next year, they say you get 3-5 squash per plant. Not sure what their shelf life is, though.

chocomouse
                Participant

I'm not sure about the shelf life of spaghetti squash either, Mike. Last year was my first year growing them. I somehow am thinking I tried to use them up more quickly than my other winter squash varieties, which I know will keep perfectly until Jan-Feb. (We have a cold cellar built into our basement). But I've recently read on a gardening forum that they keep as long as other winter squash. I haven't determined yet if I can bake and scrape them into strands, and then freeze them for later use. I'm not sure the texture would then be very good, probably mushy. I think I got 6-7 of them, way more than enough for us, so I'll give away a lot of them.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I see articles that say you can cook and freeze spaghetti squash, I've never tried it. I think you need to let it drain before freezing it, it does weep in the bottom of the bowl after you shred it. (I usually line the bowl with paper towels.)

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

The hydroponics teacher at UNL was harvesting some of his test crops, most of which usually go to the food bank. But he did bring some butter crunch lettuce over along with what I call frisee (see below), but my wife isn't sure that's what it is. (I might add it to the list of lettuces I grow in the Aerogarden, I'm also thinking of trying some dwarf pea pods.)

IMG_0345

She also brought a couple of tomatoes, the one below is nearly a pound.

IMG_0346

Attachments:
                      You must be logged in to view attached files.
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

Our garden did ok with the cold weather this weekend. The frost was on the roofs not the ground.

The tomato plant from the farmers market produced delicious and sweet tomatoes once it got going. the two tomato plants from Gurney's that got stunted under the grow lights have been slow to produce. The fruit do not get that deep red. I was unimpressed with the first one I used a while back. I sliced a second and third tonight to use in a tart, and the flavor reminds me of a store-bought tomato. I think that they will be ok in sauce, but they are certainly not very good uncooked. I told my husband that we need to try another variety next year. It still remains to be seen how many of the green ones on those two plants will actually ripen before a freeze.

I'm still holding out hope for the remaining honey nuts to ripen, as well as the large ones that came from one of the seeds.

Spaghetti squash do not last as long as butternut squash, but it helps to have them in a cooler location. I have two from the farmers market, and one is slated for a spaghetti squash mushroom quiche, based on a Ken Haedrich recipe in The Harvest Baker.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

Of the tomatoes I've grown regularly, First Lady (sometimes sold as First Lady II) is still my favorite. There's a First Ladies that isn't the same tomato, but seems similar. I had both this year, neither did especially well, though I think that was just how the season played out. I will probably do both again next year, if I can find First Lady seed, usually Reimer Seeds has it.

My Fourth of July plants were, once again, the most prolific tomatoes I had, but they only get about the size of ping pong balls or smaller. They make good tomato juice, though.

Having a tomato mill helps a lot, I can process 20 pounds of tomatoes in 60-90 minutes, including setup and cleanup. I do blanche them in boiling water for several minutes, that's supposed to help keep the juice from separating by deactivating an enzyme, but it doesn't always work.

For large tomatoes, I like Italian Heirloom and Amish Paste, both are determinates and are late ripeners and tend to ripen at the same time.

I've given up on Mortgage Lifter and Brandywine, they seem to shut down blooms faster in hot weather and crack a lot. My wife still likes Rutgers, but they weren't that productive this year, and the Celebrity were kind of a mixed bag.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Thanks for your comments on tomatoes, Mike.

As we look forward to next gardening season:

https://www.gocomics.com/roseisrose/2022/10/12

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We're now showing a projected low of 25 Monday night. Brrrr!

I've got a few tomatoes ripening, not sure I'll get enough by Monday to make juice, though.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

We were supposed to have a freeze last night, but it looks like it stayed above freezing. My husband has been covering plants. The tomatoes remain stubbornly green. They are "Early Girl," which is clearly a misnomer, since the first one ripened in September, and we have had only four others. We may end up picking them green and seeing if they will ripen inside.

I'm still holding out hope that the rest of the Honey Nut squashes will ripen in time. Oh, and my husband found another five beans. Those plants have produced mightily.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

The lows for the next 4 days here are:

Saturday 43
                                  Sunday 29
                                  Monday 19
                                  Tuesday 20

I think we'll get our killer frost soon.

I've been known to pull up the plants in their cages and stick them in the garage, if there was space (which there usually isn't, garages are junk magnets.) I've also pulled all the green fruit and spread it out in boxes in the garage to ripen. We had tomatoes on Christmas once that way. But they're nowhere as flavorful as sun-ripened ones, and possibly not even as good as the ones in the stores these days, so I haven't been doing it lately and don't plan to do it this year.

They work for chili, though, and if enough of them ripened at the same time they'd probably make OK tomato juice, but usually they ripen over several weeks, not enough at any one time to process.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.