2022 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2022 Garden Plans

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Overnight I've got a forest of sprouts from my tomatoes, I think a few eggplants, and I think one or two of the melons looks like they'll be up soon. And it actually feels like Spring outside today!

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The Aerogardens I set up late last year had some spinach, I got 3 or 4 small pickings of it, then it pretty much stopped. The 'trim and return' process doesn't seem to work well on spinach, it works much better on leafy lettuce. With my parsley, I'd whack it down and 3-4 days later I'd have plenty more coming up.

I didn't put any spinach in the new gardens. One garden has some parsley and 3 varieties of leaf lettuce, one of them a sample from Reimer seeds that hasn't germinated yet, and it's been two weeks. I'll give it a few more days then replant with a different variety. I'm trying some iceberg lettuce in the other garden, in 4 slots spaced about as far apart as they go, I started one the other day, I'll start the next one on day 6, then day 11 and then 16. I also put in a little more parsley, if the iceberg lettuce crowds it out that won't be a problem.

My tomatoes, eggplants and melons under the grow lights are doing very well, I started around 65 seed starter pots, I think about 60 of them germinated. I have cages for 24 tomato plants; last year I wound up planting a few that weren't in the best shape, but I only started 35 tomato plants last year, and not all germinated/survived. This year I started 42 tomatoes, 7 varieties, I think there were 3 that didn't germinate, but I could still get some late starters. I think all my melons germinated and all but one or two of the eggplants. I'm going to start the other half of the melons in another week or two.

I've already moved about a dozen seedlings into larger pots under a separate set of grow lights, I'll probably do some more later today.

This year it seems to be a late spring, but I generally don't plant in the garden until late May anyway, because I've been burned by mid-May cold snaps too many times. I may put in one set of melons ahead of then, just to see what happens.

RiversideLen
        Participant

I finally ordered my plants from Burpee. I've been ordering from Burpee for a number of years now. Four tomato, two pepper and two basil and parsley. That will be plenty for me.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

We've had 2 1/2 inches of rain in the last week, after having nearly none for most of April. The grass, or what's left of it, is happy to see the rain.

BakerAunt
            Participant
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I moved most of my plants (7 varieties of tomatoes, 2 varieties of eggplant and 2 varieties of cantaloupe) outside Sunday afternoon and will start planting them late this afternoon. There are some temps in the low 40's forecast for this weekend, but I think I'll risk it. I've already got soaker hoses set up winding through the garden.

navlys
                Participant

I'm exhausted just reading about your plantings! Wished I was your neighbor. I live in a 55+ community and I can only grow things in pots and there are rules for those also.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

My vegetable gardening is minor league compared to what my wife does every year with her flower pots. She bought about 10 flats worth of plants, including 5 leeks that we haven't decided whether to try them in a pot or in the ground somewhere.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My husband planted out the two bell peppers that overwintered in the house. He also planted beans, spinach, and lettuce. He planted some bell peppers in a pot (these will likely end up overwintering in the house). He also started some regular tomato plants and one cherry tomato plant. We ordered some honeynut (the small butternut squash variety) seeds today, and some of those will be planted as soon as they get here.

chocomouse
                      Participant

I bought all my starter plants today, vegetables and herbs. They are acclimating on the deck for a few days before I put them into the garden. I'm also waiting for my husband to put up the electric fence to deter the woodchucks we've been watching on camera the last couple of months. I went to my usual shopping place, a farm in NH run by an elderly couple who do all the planting and caretaking themselves. I checked the pots for jumping worms, and they were clean, as I thought they would be at this place. I did not buy a truckload of composted manure this year because I am afraid of "importing" the worms to my yard. I'll be skimpy with just my own compost for one year. I did plant green and yellow beans in one of the planters on the deck; the lettuce in the other big planter is looking good. Rain tomorrow, and 90* Friday and Saturday, so everything should grow quickly.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

My garden is planted, 24 cages of tomatoes, 11 eggplants (2 varieties), 5 melon plants (2 varieties) and 4 melon hills that didn't sprout under the lights but might in the ground.

The 5 leeks went in one of my wife's pots, along with some French tarragon and sage.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

My husband planted seed for snow peas in our garden this morning. The snow peas did poorly last year, so he was not sure he would plant them again this year.

So far, we are on track to have a normal rainfall this month. We are lucky that it is coming in gentle downpours.

chocomouse
                            Participant

Did you plant all of those in one day? A lot of work! I don't plant melons any more, but I should. This morning, in between rain storms, I transplanted rosemary, cilantro, parsley, thyme and marjoram into a small planter on the deck. Six varieties of basil are in another pot, and I need to dig up some mint to put in yet another pot. When I plant into a planter, I need to refurbish the soil by adding to the soil left from last year. So I have buckets of garden soil, compost, and composted manure to mix with that before planting.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

I did half of the tomatoes last night, the rest this morning.

I didn't do any melons last year, and I did a lot more eggplants this year than last. I have 24 tomato cages, but I dropped several varieties from last year (including Mortgage Lifter and Brandywine) and did more of our favorites, including Italian Heirloom and Amish Paste. I also put in two Celebrity, which I didn't do last year.

I've already got soaker hoses running all through the garden, including where the melons and eggplants are, so I should be in good shape other than things like weeding. I'm hoping that the 4th of July will have some fruit ready by their namesake date.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

They're now forecasting a low of 38 for Sunday night, keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get so cold it affects the plants. 38 and rain would probably be OK, 38 and windy, not so much

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 142 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.