2022 Garden Plans

Home Forums Gardening 2022 Garden Plans

Viewing 7 posts - 136 through 142 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Very impressive, Mike!

My husband is growing lettuce in a long planter on the porch. This time he is using soil from the store rather than the sandy soil from one of the woodland properties, and that seems to make a difference. The grow lights seem to be working well for the lettuce.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

My pea pods have started blooming, this happened literally overnight!

IMG_0373

Now we'll see if they set fruit. Pea pods are supposed to be self-pollinating, one source says sometimes they pollinate themselves even before they're fully open.

Part of the fun of gardening is just seeing the plants develop.

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Last week I was on a forum where they were talking about artichokes. I tried growing them from seed several years ago, I did get 2 or 3 tiny artichokes in October just before the frost hit. With the grow lights we have now, I might be able to get them a bit further along before transplanting them outdoors.

They're kind of an interesting looking plant, though I wouldn't call them pretty, they are thistles, after all. (But the other site, a photography forum, had some nice pictures of artichokes in full bloom, BIG purple flowers.)

There was a vendor at the Sunday farmer's market a couple of years ago that was trying to grow enough artichokes to sell them. They had a small basket of them toward the end of market season. They were hoping to mulch them to keep them from dying off when it froze, but they didn't have any artichokes the next year so I'm guessing that didn't work, and that they weren't productive enough to be profitable.

Some people grow them in a large planter, which could be brought in when cold weather arrives, but the plant gets pretty big and I'm not sure where I'd keep them over the winter.

I looked at the possibility of growing them hydroponically, but they need 2-3 weeks of sub-50 but not freezing temperatures to vernalize or they won't produce fruit the next season, and a plant is only good for 5-6 seasons. (And they're so big they'd be a challenge to grow hydroponically at home.)

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

One of the first pea pod blooms has set fruit.

IMG_0385

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

Looks great, Mike! Are those snow peas?

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Congrats on the pea pods, the flower photo was so pretty.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Yes, I'm hoping to get enough snow peas to do some stir fry dishes with them. I planted 3 pea pods, not sure how many peas to expect from each plant, but it looks like I have well over a dozen blooms.

Viewing 7 posts - 136 through 142 (of 142 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.