Thu. Oct 8th, 2026

skeptic7

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,353 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21121
    skeptic7
    Participant

      Mike, Riverside Len;
      Thanks for the recipe. At the moment I am a volume baker but when I finally break down and invest in an accurate scale, I will try one of those recipes.

      Friday I made a whole wheat bread with hunks of cheddar cheese for a party. This is the same recipe that I have done before and it came out very well. I baked it in a slow cooker on high for about 3 1/2 hours to 190 degrees.

      in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 8, 2020 #21120
      skeptic7
      Participant

        I got that right, but it was a lucky accident. I like lamb but find it too expensive for anything other than an occasional treat.

        in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21119
        skeptic7
        Participant

          I did Maple Baked Beans from a recipe that I pulled off the internet years ago on Tuesday. My recipe said that is was originally based on a recipe from the "Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association". It must have been because it called for a humongous amount of maple syrup 2/3 cup. I was trying to use the very dark maple syrup from Canada, but even in pursuit of an experiment I couldn't force myself to add that much maple syrup. I think I added about 1/2 a cup and couldn't talk myself into adding more. This actually turned out very well being sweet but not overly so. One of the things I liked about that recipe is it calls for topping the baked beans with a layer of apples cut into quarters. I had rather large apples so I cut them into eighths.
          I pulled the recipe from MasterCook, but I can't find a reference to it anymore.

          in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21046
          skeptic7
          Participant

            Len;
            I can't find your bun recipe on this site. Could you provide a link please? Thanks. I have roast beef on the brain, I roasted an eye of round for Xmas, and am still taking slices out of the freezer for sandwiches.

            in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 6, 2020 #21045
            skeptic7
            Participant

              Yes. I knew this -- of course many things I know aren't accurate.

              in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 4, 2020 #21024
              skeptic7
              Participant

                I got this!

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 3, 2020 #21023
                skeptic7
                Participant

                  I froze cheddar, the last time by accident, and while the taste is the same, the cheese becomes more brittle and harder to plane. It doesn't make a difference for pizza but the slices tend to break so grilled cheese sandwiches are harder to make.

                  in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of February 2, 2020? #21022
                  skeptic7
                  Participant

                    Mike, thats a beautiful pie. I wish I could eat a piece. I don't remember every eating a sour cream - raisin pie, and I certainly haven't cooked one.

                    Len; your buns look so tasty, especially the basket weave. Do you make them into sandwiches with roast beef and onions?

                    in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #21021
                    skeptic7
                    Participant

                      I reuse my ziploc freezer bags too, but I don't keep them in the freezer. The smaller ones are rolled up in a old quart yogurt container, the 2 gallon size are on the shelf with the "good" ie unused dinner plates.

                      in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 5, 2020 #21020
                      skeptic7
                      Participant

                        I missed this.

                        in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20902
                        skeptic7
                        Participant

                          I just did a cranberry and ricotta cheese pizza. Makes a nice breakfast.

                          I've make double rise pizza doughs before but it was by accident. I had gotten distracted between punching the dough down the first time and forming it into pizzas. It doesn't make much difference.

                          in reply to: Daily Quiz for February 1, 2020 #20901
                          skeptic7
                          Participant

                            I missed it. These do sound tasty.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20881
                            skeptic7
                            Participant

                              Mike;
                              I didn't realize that your recipes made two loaves instead of one. Good luck with the steam. Would it help to have a full frying pan of water in the oven so the oven would be constantly bathed in steam instead of just having a short burst of steam at the ccritical points? What do rye rolls taste like steamed anyway?

                              in reply to: What are you Baking the week of January 26, 2020? #20879
                              skeptic7
                              Participant

                                Mike
                                Can you bake the bread in a covered container like a Dutch oven to provide a moister atmosphere especially as you are doing single loaves. I have an oval Dutch oven that takes bread pans without problems.

                                in reply to: Daily Quiz for January 31, 2020 #20878
                                skeptic7
                                Participant

                                  I missed this.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 796 through 810 (of 1,353 total)