What are you Baking the week of November 10, 2019?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of November 10, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Len they all look good to me.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I think one key with the pumpkin shaped breads is not to tie the strings tight, and then don't let the dough rise much afterwards, the oven spring will be enough to give them the right shape.

I'm probably going to do another batch of them over the weekend, the first batch weren't picture perfect but looked enough like pumpkins to be worth trying a second time, with a tastier dough. I think the stem is necessary for them to look right.

The braided loaves look great!

skeptic7
        Participant

Baker Aunt;
          Is Ellen's buns a recipe that is available on this site?

Riverside Len;
          The bread looks beautiful.

Yesterday I made pumpkin corn muffins, Yankee style. This was for a vegan friend so I used up the rest of the gluten free flour, and a Tablespoon of ground flax seed, and maple syrup -- so I didn't have any eggs, buttermilk, or honey. This recipe is so different from the original cornbread recipe I might as well give it all

< 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Gluten free flour
          1 cup Indian Head white corn meal
          4 teaspoons baking powder
          1 teaspoon cinnamon
          1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
          1 cup pumpkin puree, this was especially rich and tasty
          1 tablespoon flax seed ground
          3 tablespoons oil
          1/4 cup maple syrup
          water
          Mix all the dry ingredients except the flax seed together. Mix the pumpkin, flax seed, oil and maple syrup together. Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, add a couple of tablespoons of water if the batter seems too dry. Scoop with 1/4 cup icecream server into parchment lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until done. Makes 11 with the last one a little small. This doesn't rise very much but its tastes good.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Skeptic: Here's the link on this site:

People know the recipe as Moomie's Buns, but my understanding is that the recipe creator now prefers to go by Ellen, so I try to respect that, but it does make it confusing to locate. You can also find it on her site as "Ellen's Famous Burger Buns."

I make these changes:
            replace 3/4 cup water with buttermilk
            use 2 Tbs. oil in place of 2 Tbs. butter
            use 1 3/4 cups AP flour, 1 cup whole wheat; 1/2 cup white whole wheat
            I add 2 Tbs. flax meal
            I add 2 Tbs. dried milk

I reduce the yeast to 2 tsp.
            I replace 1/4 cup sugar with 2 Tbs. honey
            I reduce the salt to 3/4 tsp.

I've tried them with more regular whole wheat flour, but I prefer the taste a bit lighter, so I use some white whole wheat to up the whole grain.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Ellen's recipe is one that will work with a lot of variants. I like to make it with a little whole wheat or rye flour in it.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

Wow Len! Those are beautiful!

RiversideLen
                Participant

Thanks everybody.
                  Mike, I agree, you can't let the pumpkin shape roll rise as much as a normal roll. I wanted to bake all the buns in the same pan, at the same time, so they rose more than they should have.

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did a quick bread with blueberry jam as one of the ingredients. I baked it in a 9x13 pan which baked quickly and makes a lot of short slices, easy for eating in a napkin. I took it to the last farmer's market of the year to share with vendors I won't see it next spring.
                    Putting jam into the bread gives it a wonderful color and it mixes together quickly.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

We used up the rest of the bread on Thursday, so it was time to head to the kitchen. I baked two loaves of my Buttermilk Grape Nuts bread (an adaptation of the Grape Nuts Bread by Dachshundlady ). I’ve subbed in a cup of barley flour and a cup of whole wheat in the past, but this time I used 2 cups of whole wheat flour and used bread flour for the rest. I tried letting it rise in a dough bucket on the dining room table, but ended up putting it on a tray table in the front room where the wood stove keeps the area warmer. I did the same for the second rise. The loaves came out well. I’ll freeze one, and we will cut the other one for lunch tomorrow.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I baked a half recipe of Toffee-Pumpkin Snack Cake, a recipe from Better Homes & Gardens Fall Baking (p. 28), a seasonal magazine issue that I bought a couple years ago. I made it about a month ago as well, and that time I substituted half buttermilk for half the oil but did not like the result that much, so this time I just used 1/3 rather than ½ cup of oil. I added 2 Tbs. of Bob’s Red Mill milk powder, and I made my own “pumpkin pie spice” blend. I did use half of the “toffee pieces” in the batter. What I used was milk-chocolate toffee pieces, since I’m still in the process of using that kind of ingredient up. I did not, however, sprinkle them on top. Instead I used a sugar cookie decorating mix of brown, yellow, and orange elongated sprinkles. (It’s going to take me a long time to work my way through my special sugars now that I’ve had to forgo sugar cookies.) I don’t use the cream cheese frosting drizzle, although I’m sure it’s lovely, as the cake is delicious without it.

Addition: I like this version of the cake better than any of my previous versions in terms of taste and texture.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

I made two loaves of whole wheat bread with buttermilk, honey, oatmeal, harvest grains and wheat germ.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Ahead of Halloween, I made two Texas Chocolate Sheet Cakes, one of which went in the freezer. We got it out this afternoon and it seems to have handled being frozen very well.

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I make it, it's not a lot more work to make a full recipe of batter and both an 8x8 and 10x10 cake, though I did have to make a triple batch of frosting rather than a double batch.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I realized on Saturday that my husband had worked his way through most of the whole wheat sourdough crackers, so in the evening, I fed my sourdough and used what I removed to make the dough for my lower-saturated fat version of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. The dough is divided in quarters, then refrigerated for 4-5 days. I’ll bake them next week.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made my buns again, determined to get the Kaiser stamp right. So, I divided the buns between regular buns with the KAF Everything bagel topping and Kaiser buns. I let the Kaiser buns rise upside down and turned them right side up for the last 15 minutes.
                                I didn't get the kind of separation that I should have gotten but they didn't turn out bad.

bun

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
                                • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by RiversideLen.
                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Len, did you sprinkle a little flour in the cuts so they didn't glue themselves back together?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.