Bob’s Red Mill Coupons

Home Forums Favorite Websites Bob’s Red Mill Coupons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

If you buy Bob's Red Mill products at your local store, you can get a $1 off coupon twice a month from the Bob's Red Mill website. For semolina, that makes the price for me lower than online prices, unless I want to buy a huge bag of it.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I actually printed one this morning and used it to buy a bag of BRM golden flax meal. 🙂

Note: my local store will not take internet coupons from anyone. (Clearly there was an issue.) However the Kroger in the larger town where we do grocery trips every couple of weeks has a good selection.

chocomouse
        Participant

I'd noticed a decline in BRM products at my local grocery store, and today there were none. I asked, and learned they have discontinued carrying them. I'm going to have to find another store that does carry BRM; I use those coupons frequently. Just last week, while traveling in Michigan, I bought a bag of dark rye and one of semolina.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I've stopped keeping track of all the items that can't be found in local food stores in Lincoln anymore, not even at Whole Foods. And don't even talk to me about veal! When I was in Pittsburgh in June the neighborhood grocery store a few blocks from my son's house had at least 4 different cuts of veal. Here I'm lucky if they have ground veal.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Chocomouse: The Bob's dark rye is my favorite rye flour. I'll have to try their semolina, since you and Mike give it a thumbs up.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I used to use Hodgson Mills semolina, but it has vanished from local stores, and the local coop no longer carries semolina in bulk. I've been using KAF, but the BRM is just as good and available locally for less per ounce, even before using a BRM coupon.

My favorite rye flour is the pumpernickel flour I was getting at the Mennonite store in TN when I was still going there a couple of times a year to work at my company's office. Since I've retired, I've been there once for a meeting and I picked up 10 pounds of it. Not sure what I'll do when that's gone, maybe I'll try BRM.

Several years ago I bought 5 pounds of rye berries and ground them up using the coarsest setting in my grain mill, that was pretty good, too, but a bit pricey.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Mike, I think that the Bob's dark rye is not the same as pumpernickel. They used to carry a pumpernickel on line, but I don't know if they still do. I ended up biting the bullet and buying it from KAF. I use the dark rye when I make Limpa bread, and I often mix it into other breads, such as Len's Rye/Semolina/Whole Wheat Bread. I bought the pumpernickel for recipes that specify pumpernickel, and I think that my book on rye baking distinguishes between dark and pumpernickel.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

I read somewhere not too long ago that there is no standardization or guidelines for labeling rye flour, you figure out what works for you by trial and error. I also buy my pumpernickel at KAF.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

There aren't exactly uniform standards for labeling wheat flour, either. 🙂

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I usually buy rye from KAF, the one they label Pumpernickel. I am under the impression that one is 100% whole grain and I use it for anything that I want rye flour for. A little while back I ran out and didn't feel like putting together an order from KAF and found Hodgson Mill rye on Amazon. As far as I can tell, it's pretty much the same as KAF's.

chocomouse
                        Participant

Len, I also believe that pumpernickel is a whole grain, as it contains the endosperm, germ, and bran. So, pumpernickel is to rye as whole wheat is to all-purpose. I use it because it has a stronger rye flavor as well as being healthier to eat.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I've always thought pumpernickel referred to both it being a whole grain product AND a coarsely ground flour. Most of the time, I think a dark rye berry is used, with white rye berries used more for light rye flours, I think light rye flours also take out some of the bran and germ, since those are darker in color than rye endosperm.

The time I bought a 5 pound bag of rye berries and ground them up, it made for pretty good pumpernickel rye bread.

FWIW, Amazon has rye berries in 25 pound bags for under $40 these days and they're part of Amazon Prime, too. I suspect it would take me an awful long time to use up 25 pounds of rye berries, though they also have a 10 pound bag for $16.50, which is nearly the same price and, I have to say, somewhat tempting. (Having my own grain mill gives me options not everyone has.)

BakerAunt
                            Participant

I've noticed that the KAF pumpernickel has a coarser grind than the Bob's dark rye flour. Each has its purpose. 🙂

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

There's a bogus Costco coupon offer making the rounds on Facebook, and I just read about one for Bud Light.

The scammers may have polluted the waters to the point that real online coupons have become an endangered species.

I did find this note on the BRM site:

September 10, 2019 at 12:31 pm
                                Hi Bob - we no longer have the option to print coupons from our website but our Customer Service team would be happy to send you some in the mail. You can request them by phone or email: 1-800-349-2173 or customerservice@bobsredmill.com

skeptic7
                                Participant

I might have to use this. I was looking for rye flour at the local health food store and they didn't have it in bulk. I wanted to make Boston Brown Bread again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.