Fri. Oct 9th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 8,098 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of May 4, 2025? #46255
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I'm making honey wheat bread again today, just came out of the oven.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of May 4, 2025? #46238
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        We both had big salads for supper. I'm trying to get back on the keto diet again, it's challenging

        in reply to: Camera for back deck #46235
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          If you have a Roku device (standalone streamer or TV), the camera is currently on sale for about $40, though the cloud storage is $3.99 a month per camera. You probably don't need a Roku device just to view it on a smartphone, though. You do need a wifi network.

          That's still a small fraction of what we paid to upgrade the cameras installed around the perimeter of the house and they don't cover all the possible views. I might be getting another Roku camera or two.

          For a year or so we had a Cooper's Hawk patrolling our back yard, chasing birds and squirrels, and possibly rabbits. Based on feathers and fur I've seen in the yard, I think he was doing OK. I haven't seen him up close lately, but I think I saw him in a neighbor's tree last fall. He did crash into some of our window a couple of times, and spent about a half hour sitting on the balcony railing driving the birds and squirrels crazy once.

          Last night I saw another fox on the deck and a couple of raccoons standing on the back patio waiting for the fox to leave. I was expecting some kind of confrontation, but I think the fox slipped past them.

          I know the foxes have caught a few rabbits, we've heard them squealing several times. I don't know if the vixen had a litter this year (last year we had a pair of them), I haven't seen any younger foxes yet but they may not be ready to be escorted around by their parents yet.

          in reply to: Camera for back deck #46231
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            Yes, the hanging feeders are attached to the railing, using a pole with a hook, one we buy at the store where we buy our birdseeds. Here's a close-up of how they attach to the railing:

            IMG_1413

            Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of May 4, 2025? #46220
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              We had spaghetti with meat sauce and cheese toast.

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 27, 2025? #46205
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                I had the last of the pizza, Diane had a sandwich.

                in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 27, 2025? #46198
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I made a big tray of banana nut mini-muffins tonight, somewhere around 110.

                  This ought to keep us going for a couple of weeks.

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 27, 2025? #46197
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    We had salads with tuna salad.

                    in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 27, 2025? #46192
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      We had some of the leftover pizza for supper tonight.

                      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 27, 2025? #46188
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        We had sandwiches tonight.

                        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 20, 2025? #46174
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          I made several quarts of chicken stock yesterday using bones from a chicken I had roasted last week.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 20, 2025? #46167
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            That must have been something that happened when I upgraded to the latest version of WordPress. They're randomly generated but I'm not sure what is used to 'seed' them.

                            If you'd rather have a profile image you choose, like I do, you can register it with Gravitar under your email address, and it will show up on any site that recognizes Gravitar images.

                            in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of April 20, 2025? #46156
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              I tried a suggestion I read on Reddit (r/pizza) and I buttered one side of the dough after it was rolled out, then I put a parchment round on it, flipped it over onto the peel and loaded it with toppings. It slid off the peel into the oven easily without any flour or corn meal as lubrication.

                              After 5 minutes, I pulled the parchment out (in a 475 oven it would probably not have burst into flames but might have singed.)

                              IMG_1388

                              Made for a crisper crust on the bottom, which was the goal.
                              Here's what the underside looked like:

                              IMG_1389

                              Limited the toppings to sauce, some diced red pepper, some pepperoni, green olives, mozzarella, cream cheese and a sprinkling of romano cheese.

                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.
                              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 20, 2025? #46155
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                Pizza night here, pix and story in baking thread.

                                in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of April 20, 2025? #46151
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches on the honey wheat bread I baked last night.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 8,098 total)