Wed. Sep 30th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 5,116 through 5,130 (of 8,095 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #21969
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      There was plenty of toilet paper at the stores when I was there a couple of days ago, too, but not last night. It doesn't take a lot of people to clean a store out of something if they start buying it in much larger quantities than normal. A friend of ours was at a different grocery store yesterday and she said people were buying it by the cart-full.

      Our house has 6 bathrooms, so we tend to buy 2-3 packages at a time in normal times.

      in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #21955
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I went to the grocery store this evening and they were basically out of toilet paper. I didn't check for things like hand sanitizer, but I suspect it was in low supply as well.

        Fortunately, the things I was looking for were not in short supply.

        in reply to: Covid-19 Discussions and Stories #21951
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          We could eat out of the freezer and pantry for quite a while, too, though the menu might get kind of boring without fresh fruit, vegetables, meats and dairy. But I think we could make sure we get all 9 essential proteins and other important nutrients.

          in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21950
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            Given that honey is about half fructose, which caramelizes at a lower temperature than sucrose, I don't think the honey was why it didn't brown. If anything, baked goods with honey tend to brown more.

            Are they fully done on the inside?

            I have an ifrared thermometer, I find it is a much better way of testing oven temperatures, just point it at the sidewalls in a few places.

            in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21946
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              One of the recipes that I used for a sour cream raisin pie had you boil the raisins in some water to plump them. It also used some of the raisin water in the pie filling.

              Raisins have to be REALLY dried out not to be salvageable for baking.

              Now that I'll be home for Pi day (Saturday), I need to figure out what kind of pie(s) to make.

              in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21945
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                Here's an interesting article on Jewish traditions and baking. I don't recall having seen the part about needing to be the equivalent of 43 1/5 eggs before, that's kind of an unusual number, but it looks like it takes 2 1/2 pounds of flour before Jews have to 'take challah' or set aside a portion as a sacrifice. The stuff about classes might be useful for you. Of course, my dough wouldn't qualify anyway.

                Challah traditions

                in reply to: Daily Quiz for March 11, 2020 #21934
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  I made that one pretty easy, it gets more complicated if you throw in ingredients like eggs, honey or even butter, all of which have some water in them. Even the experts don't always agree on how to compute hydration for those doughs.

                  in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21932
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    My BBGA sourdough class has been postponed because of Covid-19 measures at the venue. Not sure when they'll reschedule it or if I'll be available then. :sigh:

                    in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21931
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      Well, when you make 3 1/2 pounds of dough, like I did yesterday, you probably won't eat it all, though I'm trying!

                      My braiding was not the best, but it tastes pretty good. I tried making some salt dough but it doesn't have the same tensile strength as real dough so it falls apart and won't braid. I tried using some modeling clay, it was too stiff. Guess I'll just have to keep making doughs I can braid. :sigh:

                      in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21923
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        We wound up having mac and cheese.

                        in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21922
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          If you're having trouble with pictures, I really recommend the IrfanView program for Windows PCs. I tend to shoot at 6000x4000 pixels then reduce to 600x400 before any cropping. Takes less than a minute to get a photo ready for uploading, less time than it takes to transfer the photos from my camera to my computer.

                          in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21919
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            Here's the nicer of the two 6 strand 'herringbone' pattern Challah, the one on the left in Hamelman's book. Not a perfect job of braiding, it is sort of falling off to one side, but it is quite soft. It tastes like Challah, a little eggy, a little sweet. Should make great French toast.

                            The nice looking loaf will go to a friend who doesn't think she's ever had Challah before, the others will mostly go into the freezer here.

                            challah-6strand

                            Attachments:
                            You must be logged in to view attached files.
                            in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21917
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              For one of the pictures you posted the other day only the top half shows up in your post, but if you click on it, you get the full image. Haven't seen that before, you must be WordPress's nemesis. (I've 'broken' so many programs over the years that I've actually gotten kicked out of the testing programs at some companies, although there was one company that actually gave me the internal number for their development team, so I wouldn't have to work my way through the usual support filters.)

                              in reply to: What are You Cooking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21914
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                The system is geared against those trying to cook for just one or two. Either the foods are packaged in quantities that work better for 4 or more, or they're so much higher priced that they're ineconomical.

                                It's going on 5 and I still have no idea what we're doing for supper tonight. :sigh:

                                in reply to: What are You Baking the Week of March 8, 2020? #21910
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Well, neither of my attempts at what I've been told is the 3/6 strand from Deli Man worked, after a total of 5 tries, so I unwound them and made 2 of what I call the 3/6 strand 'herringbone' pattern from Hamelman and one standard 3 strand braid, that I think I messed up at one end. But the Challah should taste good regardless. Unless the herringbone ones look pretty good after baking, I probably won't be posting any pictures.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 5,116 through 5,130 (of 8,095 total)