What are You Cooking the Week of March 8, 2020?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 8, 2020?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    skeptic7
    Participant

My father sent 3 cans of black beans home with me. I made Brazilian Black Bean Soup with orange juice and cumin. I normally make this with 2 cups of dried beans which normally cook up to over 4 cups of cooked beans so three 15 oz cans of cooked beans is a little more beans than the recipe. I put in a little more onions, a little less cumin and garlic, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chiles instead of plain diced tomatoes.
      I cooked this overnight in a slow cooker until the carrots were tender. Its pleasantly rich and spicy. I'm eating this with fat white buns with a cinnamon topping also a present from my father.

Now does anyone know a good recipe with lots of raisins? Preferably cooking the raisins first, they are rather old.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Skeptic--You can soak the raisins in some hot water, or in some kind of liquor in order to rejuvenate them to use in baked goods.

For lunch on Wednesday, I wanted to use up some leftovers, so I made a grain bowl using leftover freekeh, which I combined with onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic sautéed in oil from sun-dried tomatoes. I added some chopped sun-dried tomatoes and a small can of chicken. I added about ¾ cup chicken broth, rosemary, a bit of oregano, some dried chives, and freshly grated pepper. It made a good lunch, and I have enough left over for tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

One of the recipes that I used for a sour cream raisin pie had you boil the raisins in some water to plump them. It also used some of the raisin water in the pie filling.

Raisins have to be REALLY dried out not to be salvageable for baking.

Now that I'll be home for Pi day (Saturday), I need to figure out what kind of pie(s) to make.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Skeptic I like to plump raisins in a little rum in microwave just a minute then I usually use that liquid in whatever I'm making..fruit salad,carrot salad,or cinnamon buns.

Tonight I marinated a chicken breast in Italian dressing then grilled in pan till browned on one side flipped and added softened onions and then poured the dressing over it all and cooked till done,with that we had thickened potatoes and steamed broccoli and cheese sauce.

Skeptic your black bean soup sounds good.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Thursday.

As I prepared to start Thursday dinner, I realized that the two packages of three chicken thighs each that I had left in the refrigerator to thaw were not thawed. I had put them separately, but someone (my husband denies it was he), stacked them on top of each other. I ended up putting them in a baggie and letting the baggie soak in water to get them thawed. I made Tarragon Chicken, Mushrooms, and Rice, which we had with microwaved frozen peas. Dinner was a bit late.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had French toast made from the Challah, with some really dark, nearly opaque, maple syrup.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Yesterday my husband had hamburger steak and french fries and I had roast on bread.

Today we had Mexican casserole with bread and butter.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                  chocomouse
                  Participant

Tonight we had salmon on the grill, with cole slaw and Greek pasta salad.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

It won't be supper tonight, but I'm making a pot of chili. (It's best on day 2 anyway.)

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I had roasted salmon, whipped sweet potato and fresh asparagus.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Today we had leftover lima beans and corn muffins.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I had a chicken cheddar burger and chicken veg soup.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.