Wed. Oct 7th, 2026

BakerAunt

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 8,596 through 8,610 (of 8,781 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • BakerAunt
    Participant

      Joan: Consider trying the icebox chocolate pie at KAF

      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-icebox-pie-recipe

      There is a lot to be said for no-bake fillings! I did delete the cinnamon from the crust--What were they thinking?!

      in reply to: Re-Re’s English Muffin Loaf by wickedgoodyarn #4530
      BakerAunt
      Participant

        The yeast amount, assuming 2 1/4 tsp. yeast per packet, would be 9 tsps. or 3 Tbs. Yikes.

        I compared this to the KAF English muffin bread recipe--which is a single loaf.

        KAF: half as much sugar, 1/3 the yeast (1 Tbs. for a single loaf), 2 Tbs. of oil, twice as much salt, and twice as much baking soda.

        Baking temperature is the same, and times are close.

        I'm may try this one--but with a lot less yeast.

        • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
        in reply to: Recipes uploaded from the BC, by original poster #4529
        BakerAunt
        Participant

          That's a LOT of recipes! Excellent work, Rottiedogs. Everyone appreciates your diligence and commitment.

          in reply to: Increasing a bread recipe… A LOT! #4497
          BakerAunt
          Participant

            Aaron:

            Do you have a mixer big enough to mix a x7 or x8 recipe?

            Also, is it really 2 Tbs. yeast in the regular recipe?

            in reply to: Dairy Foods and Fat #4491
            BakerAunt
            Participant

              I've used low-fat sour cream in various Bundt cakes, and even cookies. I might continue doing so, since there is plenty of butter in them, and thus dairy fat. For cream cheese, I go for the regular, unless a recipe specifically calls for the Neufchatel.

              in reply to: Using a camera to save/recover old recipes #4460
              BakerAunt
              Participant

                My husband has some handwritten recipes from his mother and grandmother, so I will try photographing them in order to preserve them. I can read these well: the issue is that there are not the kind of directions that recipes today have. I'll look at them again when we are back in Indiana.

                My mom was a "modern" woman: she liked to type her recipes. As for her mother: I don't recall her ever writing down a recipe.

                in reply to: Things they don’t tell you about home grain milling #4432
                BakerAunt
                Participant

                  Well, it's not home milling, but lots of bakers now are investigating milling their own grain:

                  http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/24/490120509/bread-grains-the-last-frontier-in-the-locavore-movement

                  in reply to: Cooking an Eye of Round Roast #4429
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

                    Lately, the only roasts I've done have been in the crock pot--usually to avoid heating up the house, or because I won't be home. . I wonder if I can stop searing it? It's been a while, but as soon as cold weather comes, I'm going to do a roast in the oven again.

                    in reply to: Heard from Zen #4385
                    BakerAunt
                    Participant

                      Does anyone know if Dachshundlady's Facebook site is having similar traffic issues? I don't do Facebook, so I cannot check. I, too, worry that we have lost the core of the BC people, and that has surprised and saddened me. It's not that there were too many places set up--Randy's blog, Zen's site, Dachshundlady's Facebook site, and Nebraska kitchen. Randy closed his blog due to lack of activity, and Zen's site seems to be going the same way. There just does not seem to be the will or the interest in staying together to discuss baking and cooking.

                      Mike: Is there anything that we regulars can do to encourage traffic?

                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                      • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                      in reply to: Heard from Zen #4380
                      BakerAunt
                      Participant

                        Traffic has really fallen off at Zen's site. I seem to be about the only person posting, and not a lot of people are reading posts either.

                        in reply to: Buttermilk Crackers from KAF Anniversary Cookbook #4378
                        BakerAunt
                        Participant

                          The crackers are still crunchy six days later--a testament to the recipe and to Tupperware. The taste develops nicely about a day or so after baking. At some point I will try this recipe with the KAF Harvest Grains Blend. These should be good for parties with cheese or dip, but they are tasty without any toppings.

                          • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                          BakerAunt
                          Participant

                            Cwcdesign--Oddly enough, ketchup is not a problem. Or maybe it's not odd, since ketchup has very little tomato in it!

                            Thanks for the references to the books. I will check them out. I mostly use the slow cooker when it is hot and we do not want to turn on the oven. Otherwise, I usually find it just as easy to cook on the stove top. I'm still working with the 3 1/2 quart crockpot that my Mom gave me over 30 years ago. (It's a Montgomery Wards!)

                            I'm also wondering about adapting some crockpot recipes to cooking in a heavy pot (Le Creuset, Staub) on the wood stove in the winter in Indiana. I've made great soup that way.

                            • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                            • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                            • This reply was modified 10 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
                            in reply to: Sugar Cookies and Salt #4371
                            BakerAunt
                            Participant

                              I was hoping Ratio, by Michael Buhlman, would have an answer, but in his chapter on cookies, he does not even include salt in the shortbread recipe and says if one uses a good quality butter, one does not need it. (I hear confess to using the unsalted butter sold by Walmart.) He does have a rolled sugar cookie recipe that is close to the Fancy Flour one, but his only uses 2 cups of flour rather than 3.

                              I found in Bakewise, by Shirley Corriher, that "a pinch of salt brings out sweetness" (p. 407), but the recipe above has more than a pinch of salt already. It must have something to do with the amount of flour in the recipe (and maybe the baking powder?).

                              BakerAunt
                              Participant

                                Cwcdesign: When you get that Honey Garlic Chicken recipe perfected, please post it. I'm trying to expand my crockpot repertoire with foods my husband can eat. Tomato-based and/or spicy are out, and a lot of the recipes in my big crockpot cookbook start off with Campbell's soup, which I'd like to get away from. (I'm thinking this cookbook will be going into the yard sale.)

                                in reply to: Happy Birthday Mrs Cindy #4318
                                BakerAunt
                                Participant

                                  Happy, happy birthday, Cindy. We think of you often, and you inspire our cooking and especially our baking.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 8,596 through 8,610 (of 8,781 total)