Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 21, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 21, 2016?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Again, it is not a particularly interesting week for me. On Monday, I made my healthier version of my Mom's Hamburger Stroganoff, only I used ground bison, which we like. I also used full-fat Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, and that combination was terrific. I served it over brown rice, with some black rice thrown in. (I like my rice cooker.) On Wednesday, I cut up some pork chops my husband cooked on Sunday, and I combined the meat and the drippings saved from the pan with lightly sauteed vegetables (carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, and green onion). I combined that mixture with buckwheat noodles. We have leftovers to get us through the rest of the week, and we're going to a potluck tonight.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

On Sunday I made a chicken Caesar salad with Karen Noll's eggless Caesar dressing. I tried something new and marinated chicken tenders in some of the dressing. Then I cooked them in the panini maker. It only took about 3-4 minutes and they had nice grill marks. On Tuesday, I made the Pioneer Woman's Vegetable stir fry. We love it in our family - tons of vegetables and a nicely flavored sauce. I also cooked a skirt steak I had in the freezer to add some meat to the dish - I thinly sliced it, tossed it with a little soy sauce and sesame oil and then cooked it before I cooked the vegetables, a nice addition. Last night was simple burgers.

rottiedogs
        Participant

This week I grilled a whole turkey. Two kinds of stuffing and broccoli for the accompaniments. We also had hot turkey sandwiches to finish off the last of the leftovers.

chocomouse
          Participant

This was a short week, as I got back Tuesday evening from two weeks in Michigan. Also, we were taking advantage of a garden full of ripe produce. I did make a chicken-grape salad, but mostly we just grilled meat and ate zucchini, summer squash, green and yellow beans, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, simply steamed or raw. And BLTs, on home-made bread, of course.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

Tried to make a chocolate cream pie from KAF,it flopped.The custard part was all thick and creamy and when I poured it over the chocolate it cooled,poured it in crust and the next morning poured it out of crust lol...grrrrrrr.Wasted sooooo I tried to salvage it by adding whipped cream cheese added to chocolate sauce on top of a graham cracker crust in small dish,just more of a waste so no chocolate pie.I was ticked.Not the first time I've flopped and surely won't be the last.Just gonna forget the chocolate pie.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'd suggest you find another recipe, chocolate cream pie isn't that hard to make. You're basically making a pudding or a custard, with either egg yolks or starch (wheat flour and/or cornstarch) as a thickener, often both egg yolks and starch.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Mike,that was what the recipe had but I sure didn't do it right,oh well.I'll try another one sometime lol.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Joan: Consider trying the icebox chocolate pie at KAF

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-icebox-pie-recipe

There is a lot to be said for no-bake fillings! I did delete the cinnamon from the crust--What were they thinking?!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Thank you BakerAunt,will try this one.I love no bake pies.

S_Wirth
                      Participant

chocomouse...it is SO nice to see you here. I always enjoyed your pics of gardening and the blueberry plants. Hoping your retirement will bring you much joy! Hope to see you here often.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.