Dairy Foods and Fat

Home Forums General Discussions Dairy Foods and Fat

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I have drunk nonfat milk and eaten low-fat yogurt for years. Then came recent studies that suggest dairy fat is actually healthier:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/04/18/474403311/the-full-fat-paradox-dairy-fat-linked-to-lower-diabetes-risk

What's a health-conscious consumer to do? It's always irritating when I've been assiduously following the rules, and then I'm told that the rules are not correct.

I've always refused to give up butter. I use heavy cream, whipping cream, or half and half, as called for in recipes. So, there are no changes there. I may keep drinking the nonfat milk. However, I recently discovered how wonderful full-fat yogurt is, and I'm never going back to the other stuff.

If you eat dairy, does this new information change your diet?

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

As soon as I read an article or two about this, I started buying whole milk again. One bonus is that it keeps better than 1%. I've stuck with butter, cream and full fat cream cheese in cooking - just tried to be judicious in their use. I'll have to try whole milk yogurt next.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Since I started cooking with butter, my cholesterol levels have come down dramatically.

cwcdesign
          Participant

Wow, Mike. That's really interesting. Who'd a thunk it

BakerAunt
            Participant

I've used low-fat sour cream in various Bundt cakes, and even cookies. I might continue doing so, since there is plenty of butter in them, and thus dairy fat. For cream cheese, I go for the regular, unless a recipe specifically calls for the Neufchatel.

aaronatthedoublef
              Participant

From Woodie Allen's movie "Sleeper" way back in 1973...

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called "wheat germ, organic honey and tiger's milk."

Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.

Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or... hot fudge?

Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy... precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.

Dr. Melik: Incredible.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Given how much the latest set of USDA nutritional recommendations has changed from what we all learned as the 'truth' back in the 50's and 60's (and how much some nutritionists say it still needs to change), Woody Allen could still turn out to be right!

One of the more vocal critics has said that the USDA's 'food triangle' may have been a major contributor to the obesity and diabetic trends we're seeing now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.