Things they don’t tell you about home grain milling

Home Forums Milling your own flour Things they don’t tell you about home grain milling

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A few years ago I received a Nutrimill machine as a Christmas present from my older son, along with a big bucket of soft red wheat berries.  As Christmas [See the full post at: Things they don't tell you about home grain milling]

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by htfoot.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Mike: Does the recipe really require 2 Tablespoons of yeast?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

You can cut it back to a single tablespoon, but it will take even longer to rise. It might take as long as 4 hours, I'd recommend punching it down after 2 hours. It probably won't quite double, though.

In cool weather I usually put this dough in the warmest place I can find, which is on top of the computers in my office.

wonky
          Participant

Nice tutorial Mike. I enjoyed reading it,

BakerAunt
            Participant

My husband was fascinated when we found a 25 pound bag of white wheat in Walmart in Plymouth, Indiana. We had never seen that before. I believe it was the Montana brand.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Well, it's not home milling, but lots of bakers now are investigating milling their own grain:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/08/24/490120509/bread-grains-the-last-frontier-in-the-locavore-movement

Jock
                Participant

I bought myself a Nutrimill for this Christmas past (mostly because I knew from tho old BC that you had one and seemed well pleased with it) so I was interested to read this blog post.

I am curious though, why you grind hard red wheat at the "low and course" setting. Because that produces, well, course flour. There may well be occasions when course flour is needed but most of my bread baking projects use a finer grind, closer to that from a commercial mill (although it never gets quite that fine).

Anyway, I would be interested to know what your thinking is.

Best regards,

Jock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.