Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 14, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 14, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Leftovers and traveling later in the week meant not much cooking for me. On Tuesday I made Sloppy Josephines, served on the buns, and accompanied by salad. On Wednesday, I made Salmon Patties, which we had on the buns.

My husband and I are already missing all the fresh fruits and vegetables that were available at our local farmer's market in Indiana. That's what happens when your city in Texas is surrounded by cotton and soybean fields--with some sorghum thrown in.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      cwcdesign
      Participant

On Sunday I made slow cooker Honey Garlic Chicken. I've been playing with recipe and go the flavors right this time. I used chicken tenders which were on sale (we're not a dark meat family) and I learned I can make a smaller quantity of sauce. All I need now is to get the cornstarch ratio correct for thickening the sauce which the author did not do at all. I've been asked to make it again soon. I also made a batch of pimento cheese.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Cwcdesign: When you get that Honey Garlic Chicken recipe perfected, please post it. I'm trying to expand my crockpot repertoire with foods my husband can eat. Tomato-based and/or spicy are out, and a lot of the recipes in my big crockpot cookbook start off with Campbell's soup, which I'd like to get away from. (I'm thinking this cookbook will be going into the yard sale.)

rottiedogs
          Participant

This was kind of a boring week. I grilled burgers and teriyaki chicken. Plus corn on the cob and zucchini and mushrooms.

cwcdesign
            Participant

BakerAunt, I will post it when I get it right. Does ketchup count as a tomato-based product, because there is some in the sauce? But you might check out this series of cookbooks by Lynn Alley (the link is to the first one)
              https://www.amazon.com/Gourmet-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Sophisticated/dp/158008074X/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471995955&sr=8-5&keywords=Lynn+Alley
              I love all 3, the first is around the world, second is regional cooking and third one is vegetarian. You can get them used for 1¢ and up.

Lots of flavor and no canned soup 🙂

rottiedogs, that all sounds wonderful to me. Being New Englanders ourselves, we're having a tough time not having access to farm fresh corn here, where you knew it was picked that morning or afternoon. I've never heard anyone down here rave about how sweet the corn they got was.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by cwcdesign.
              BakerAunt
              Participant

Cwcdesign--Oddly enough, ketchup is not a problem. Or maybe it's not odd, since ketchup has very little tomato in it!

Thanks for the references to the books. I will check them out. I mostly use the slow cooker when it is hot and we do not want to turn on the oven. Otherwise, I usually find it just as easy to cook on the stove top. I'm still working with the 3 1/2 quart crockpot that my Mom gave me over 30 years ago. (It's a Montgomery Wards!)

I'm also wondering about adapting some crockpot recipes to cooking in a heavy pot (Le Creuset, Staub) on the wood stove in the winter in Indiana. I've made great soup that way.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.