When You Can’t Fit a Dough Sheeter into Your Kitchen.…

Home Forums General Discussions When You Can’t Fit a Dough Sheeter into Your Kitchen.…

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Looks awesome Mike...you did well!

aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

Mike,

I second Joan! You inspired me and I've signed up for the BBGA laminated dough class.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

When I took the full-week pastry course at SFBI, we made two laminated doughs on a commercial sheeter. The Brod and Taylor sheeter has many things in common with its big brother, but some differences as well. I'm guessing with practice I'll be able to make sheets of dough in sizes that facilitate the types of pastries I want to make.

The kringle recipe from O&H in Racine that is on the food network site, https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/kringle-recipe0-1941189, has you roll the dough to a 6 x 20 rectangle for filling and shaping, that should be relatively easy to do. I remember that dough being really soft at first and having a strong lemon smell before baking due to the half teaspoon of lemon extract, but the final product had only a hint of lemon in the dough. The butterscotch filling that is part of that recipe is one I've made and used for danish.

Some turnover recipes recommend cutting circles of dough and rolling them out to an oval shape.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made the rest of the turnovers today. Had some shaping issues with the 2nd batch, I think I didn't let the dough warm up enough before I started working it, and I wound up with some very not-square pieces.

IMG_0332

I made more of an effort to get 3x3 squares in the 3rd batch, and it helped. I think they're a little smaller than the ones I made yesterday, and I overfilled a few of them so they popped open, I'm happy enough with them that I put a tray of them out for tonight's dinner with friends to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary.

IMG_0333

Next time I'll probably aim for 4x4 squares.

I baked them a little longer than I did yesterday, one or two of yesterday's batch appeared not fully baked.

Cleaning the dough sheeter is fairly easy, but I need to make sure I don't have flour inside the central unit before I store it away. I also need to find a mouse-proof thing to put it in, our annual invasion has started. I might wind up putting it in two separate bags, then in a box.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            BakerAunt
            Participant

What luscious looking turnovers, Mike!

Thanks also for the detailed report on the sheeter.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I put a number of them in the freezer, 30 seconds in the microwave and they're nice and warm.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.