What Did You Bake the Week of September 25, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of September 25, 2016?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday morning, I made oat pancakes. On Tuesday, I baked corn bread to go with the soup I made for dinner. I used my two Nordic Ware fall muffin pans (6 wells each). I should probably do a 1 1/2 x recipe to fill the pans more. I also tried a new cinnamon roll recipe from a Tasting Table, e-mail I printed a year ago. (I'm trying to sort my recipe file.) My husband took these to work for an office member's birthday. I've discussed the recipe in a separate thread here. On Saturday, I tried a new recipe from an old Penzey's catalog, Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt Cake. (I'll report back on the recipe tomorrow.) I also baked the Super-Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from KAF. The cake and the cookies are for after service time at church.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I had planned to bake KAF Welsh Cakes, but the week got away from me. They're on my agenda for this week.

I've been obsessing over a recipe of my mother's. Cranberry Banana Nut Bread. I loved it when a child. It uses cranberry-orange relish that Ocean Spray no longer makes. Their recipe for it is online, and every October I say I'm going to make it as soon as fresh cranberries are in the grocery store. Every year, it never gets done. This year, I Googled to find out who makes this relish. Apparently no one. I ended up buying Apple-Orange-Cranberry Relish from Williams-Sonoma. When it arrives, I'm going to try it with Mom's recipe. I'll post her recipe after I try it with this relish, IF the recipe works. I've never before tried it.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I made a lemon lush dessert and pumpkin roll.Not much baking here.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Italian Cook--I loved that Ocean Spray Cranberry-Orange relish. I have a recipe for a cranberry-orange relish that I used to make, before I found the one with dried cherries an cardamom which is now the one I make. (No one else in the family likes it, so it is all mine!) It's not the same as the Ocean Spray, however, as it is not cooked and uses raw cranberries and orange. I wonder if your could cook cranberries and add sugar and orange?

cwcdesign
            Participant

I made a banana cream pie from a recipe I found on Epicurious. It had a graham cracker crust. The flavors were all great, but it ended up being a banana pudding pie: the filling was so soft.

I also made the Honey Vanilla Pound Cake again, doubling the recipe and baking it in the bundt pan. I made a few changes and wrote about them here

It was better than the last time, but is still a work in progress.

Italiancook
              Participant

BakerAunt, Ocean Spray's Cranberry Orange Relish that's online uses uncooked fruits. You whirr cranberries, an orange with the pith, and sugar in the food processor then freeze or refrigerate. It sounds so simple I have no idea why I have not done it long before now. I don't know how to do links, so I can't post a link to the recipe. I've read online that the recipe is on the bag of Ocean Spray cranberries, but I've never looked to see if that's accurate.

BakerAunt
                Participant

My cranberry-orange recipe came from Jane Brody's Good Food Cookbook. It seems to me that the jarred sauce has definitely been cooked--would be necessary for canning it. As I recall, it was somewhat like a jam.

Italiancook
                  Participant

BakerAunt, that makes sense. the jarred sauce would have been cooked because of canning. I didn't thank of that.

cwcdesign
                    Participant

Italiancook, I'm originally from Southeastern Massachusetts, the home of Ocean Spray. I don't remember them ever making an orange cranberry relish in a jar. Those who made it used the recipe on the package.

Italiancook
                      Participant

Actually, now that you mention it, cwc, I don't know for certain my mom used a product from a jar. The only thing I can recall seeing her do while making this bread is crack the walnuts. I just assumed the cranberry orange relish came from an Ocean Spray jar. Maybe she made the relish from scratch while I was at school and I never knew it. Other than cracking the walnuts, which she did the evening before she baked, I never saw her make this bread. I just remember coming home to a scrumptious odor and eating the moist bread. Mom made a lot of loaves of this in November & December to give to people. It is a special bread.

As soon as the Williams-Sonoma relish arrives, I'll make it, and IF the recipe works, I'll post it. I hesitate to post it first, because I don't know if it came from my grandmother who routinely messed up recipes people requested from her.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Cwcdesign--yes, it did come in a jar. I would eat it on toast after Thanksgiving. My mom never made a homemade cranberry sauce. It was always out of a can, and then the jar of cranberry-orange relish joined the yearly tradition.

rottiedogs
                          Participant

No baking for me this week. Hoping to get back in the swing of things next week.

Italiancook - here is the link for Ocean Spray's Fresh Cranberry Relish. As I recall this item came in a plastic tub not a jar. At least here in northern Illinois it did. It sounds pretty tasty so I may be bringing it to Thanksgiving dinner.

http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/Corporate/Sauces,-Sides-Salads/Fresh-Cranberry-Orange-Relish.aspx

Italiancook
                            Participant

Thanks, rottiedogs, for the link to the relish.

S_Wirth
                              Participant

Here is our favorite Cranberry Salad/Relish...I always made it for my husband's school kids and they loved it:

Many years ago, I used to have our local grocery store order me two cases of 24 bags of cranberries to freeze for use throughout the year. There are so many great ways to use them.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

OK, I know it was in a glass jar. This would have been in the 1970s in southern California. I keep trying to find some verification on the internet, but so far, I've not been able to do so. It had a jam-like consistency and had to be refrigerated once opened.

I did find this cooked one:

http://www.oceanspray.com/Recipes/Corporate/Sauces,-Sides-Salads/Cranberry-Orange-Sauce-Gift-Jars.aspx

I decided to go to the source and ask Ocean Spray on its website. I'll report back what I hear.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.