What Did You Bake the Week of January 8, 2017?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of January 8, 2017?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm starting this thread early since I will be on the road for the next few days. Opening the thread midweek also gives us a chance to test whether we want the thread opened at the start of the week. That would allow people to discuss their baking right after they do it, while also allowing those of us who prefer to do a recap at the end of the week to continue to do so.

On Monday, I baked a batch of Oatmeal-Cinnamon Scones as a gift for some friends. That evening, I made up the "crumbs" for the KAF Christmas Scones. I mix the dry ingredients (substituting 1/3 of the AP flour with whole wheat pastry flour) and the oats, then cut in the butter. I mix in 1 cup of dried fruit, 1/3 cup of pecans, and 1/3 cup of cinnamon chips. I refrigerate it overnight. The next morning, I mix in the buttermilk, then form the scones into two 6-inch rounds and cut them into 6 each, separate them slightly, sprinkle the KAF sparkling coarse sugar on top, and bake. On Tuesday afternoon I mixed up dough for a new recipe, Cheese Herb Crackers from The Baking Sheet 13.1 (Holiday 2001), pp. 16-17. I've discussed this recipe in the Cracker Obsession Thread. On Wednesday, I baked Ellen's (Moomie's) Buns as a dozen buns. We had them with salmon patties for dinner, and they will go with us on the trip home to use as sandwiches.

Spread the word
      aaronatthedoublef
      Participant

I made pizza this week. Not sure if that should be under cooking or baking or maybe both? We had friends over and so it was pizza for 10. Surprisingly the kids ate very little and I only made seven pizzas (each dough round is about 7 ounces).

Taking a cue from BA I made English muffins. This was a recipe from a class my wife gave me. It called for buttermilk and I substituted powdered because my family does not like the taste of buttermilk. The recipe also called for two TBLs of sugar which seemed like a lot so I cut that in half. I realized after the fact that this would make them rise more slowly. As a result I ran out of time on Saturday and let them finish rising in the refrigerator over night. These are so different from anything I've ever bought from the grocery store. My boys polished them off in a few days so I'll be making them again. Off course once I am a little more secure with the recipe I'll sneak in some white whole wheat flour and some flax meal.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

Thought I would post here as I'm not sure if I should comment under the recipe section. I made Baker Aunt's Lemony Cornmeal Blueberry muffins today. Didn't have any buttermilk so used the lemon juice to make "sour milk". I have a couple of questions for BakerAunt - is the batter suppose to be super runny? And how did you measure the flour - the spoon/sweep method or scoop and level off method? And I personally would like to have more lemony taste - do you think I could add 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon of the KA Lemon Juice Powder? I think I will tinker it a bit more to adjust to my own personal tastes. Otherwise, I love the recipe!

Tomorrow I'll be making KAF's Softer Cinnamon Rolls for work. Will have to see how those turn out.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by luvpyrpom.
          Italiancook
          Participant

Please let us know how the Softer Cinnamon Rolls turn out. I've been eyeing that recipe on their website. I wonder if they really stay soft longer.

cwcdesign
            Participant

On Monday, I made KAF Irish Soda Bread, the one with currants, to go with Simon Pearce's Carrot Ginger Soup. This was a nice moist loaf. Unfortunately, my Irish Wholemeal had gone by, so I used WWW - the only whole wheat flour I had on hand. The only change I will make is to reduce the sugar a little - it was a tad too sweet for me. And I will be making it to go with my Guinness Stew next weekend. Again, I won't need to have wholemeal flour in order to make it, like I do for my other recipe.

luvpyrpom
              Participant

Italiancook, I've made the Softer Cinnamon Rolls before with the almond schmear as the filling. The dough is a gem to roll out and they really are pillowy and tender to eat. I made the Cinna-Buns cream cheese icing instead of the icing that's on the recipe. I may make another batch of the cinnamon rolls on Monday when my niece and nephews come over. Definitely give this a try.

Italiancook
                Participant

Okay, luvpyrpom, I will try this. I'll even look online for the Cinna-Buns cream cheese icing recipe. Thanks for the recommendation.

Italiancook
                  Participant

Today, I baked Paula Deen's Brown Sugar Cookies for the first time. They're too crunchy to suit me, but hubby likes them. I used Splenda brown sugar instead of regular. Maybe they wouldn't have been so crisp with regular brown sugar.

I also made Yeast Dinner Muffins which were discussed earlier this week.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Luvpyrpom: The lemon muffins were not supposed to be super runny. I think that buttermilk does work better than making sour milk, as it is thicker. I also used dried blueberries. I measure flour by spooning it into the cup, then leveling it. Given the liquid in the recipe, I'm not sure why your batter was soupy. Did you include the cornmeal? I also let the batter sit, as the original recipe recommended, for 15 minutes.

The main lemon flavor comes from the grated zest. You could certainly add some of the Lemon Powder, or a 1/4 tsp. of lemon oil to increase the lemon flavor.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by BakerAunt.
                      RiversideLen
                      Participant

I made some bread rolls and baked doughnuts. The rolls are 40% WWW and I dusted off my kaiser roll stamp for them. I made chocolate frosting for the doughnuts and topped it off with coconut.

donuts‑1

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                        • This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by RiversideLen.
                        Attachments:
                        You must be logged in to view attached files.
                        chocomouse
                        Participant

I started the week on Sunday baking two loaves of our favorite Maple Buttermilk Bread, with some variations. I also made the KAF recipe of the month Pizza Party Buns. They excellent - light, airy, and of course tasty. I'll be making more, but smaller size, for a party next week. I made a batch of Moomie's Buns to freeze for future hamburgers and sandwiches. I made pineapple-coconut muffins to use up some leftover pineapple - they were not so good. The texture was fine, but little flavor. Yesterday I made two loaves of Garlic-Herb bread, using KAF's mix of garlic and herbs. It was a good week for baking and the freezer is well-stocked!

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I think that the experiment, prompted by Riverside Len has shown that we get some increased discussion, as well as more details about the recipes that people are baking or cooking, if we have an ongoing thread for the week. So, I'm changing the titles to What are You Baking and What are You Cooking. However, if you prefer to do a recap, then by all means do so.

Now, how many people want one of Riverside Len's doughnuts?

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Luvpyrpom--I also use stoneground cornmeal in the Lemon-Blueberry Muffins, so that might make a difference as well.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

Len's doughnuts certainly do look delicious! On Saturday, I made an Irish Chocolate Cake which was requested by a co-worker. She called out on Sunday morning, so I gave it to another co-worker to share at work and take home to her husband.

aaronatthedoublef
                                Participant

Len - did you bake those in a mold or freeform? They look fantastic!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.