What are You Cooking the Week of September 9, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 9, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BevM
    Participant

Mike, I like your idea of a quiz of the day (anything to stimulate my brain). Would it be possible to do a recipe of the day? I know absolutely nothing about how these things work, but something like that sometimes sparks my interest. I love different recipes and cooking techniques. Thanks for all you do to keep the forum going.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BevM.
      S_Wirth
      Participant

Hello to everyone! This is the second site I go to, just after my email each day. I read here several times a day.

My husband had a bad stroke on July 16, was in hospital four days and moved to rehab since. He'll be there thru October at least. You cannot imagine what all I have been through these many days.

We missed Mike Nolan's birthday on September 4 so Happy Belated Birthday, Mike!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Somewhat different mechanisms would probably be used, but otherwise it's an interesting idea. There are already over 2400 recipes on file here plus dozens more that only show up in posts.

I'm not sure I want to feature a recipe unless I've actually made it myself, and one a day might be more than I can test out. Maybe a recipe of the week? That way maybe I can not only feature a recipe, but offer comments and a photo. Plus it would give others a chance to try out the recipe and offer their comments as well.

chocomouse
          Participant

What about a weekly question, posted every Wednesday (just for example). Something like What is one tool/utensil, baking pan, etc. you can't live without? Tell us about a utensil that sits in your kitchen drawer but never gets used? Or What is one ingredient that is always in your refrigerator? Or what is one ingredient you never, never would use? We could "sign up" to choose a week to post a question. Of course, I'm not intending that someone couldn't ask a "serious" question (like, for a certain kind of recipe) at any time. Mike should not have to do all the background work to enliven this forum. He does enough behind the scenes work to keep it going. Thanks Mike.

BakerAunt
            Participant

S. Wirth, I am sorry to hear about the stroke your husband suffered. I will keep him and you in my prayers. Be sure to take care of yourself during this stressful time.

BakerAunt
              Participant

My husband cooked slices of pork tenderloin tonight. I made a batch of brown rice, so that we could put some of the ratatouille on it.

Actually, any of us can start a question in the discussion section, and we've had some interesting ones in the past. Remember the discussion on kitchen gadgets?

I like the idea of a recipe feature. If once a week is too much, it could always be a monthly feature. King Arthur does a recipe of the month, although I've not been moved to try any of those.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
                Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had taco salad.
                  Prayers for your husband S.Wirth and for yourself as well,that's very stressful I'm sure.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Sorry to hear about that, Sara.

navlys
                    Participant

I tried a new recipe from our Giant supermarket recipe collection: Thai-Style Chicken and Cole Slaw with Pita Bread. It got an "A" from my husband. Of course with any new recipe it's always taste and adjust.

Swirth, sometimes I think it's just as tough to be the caretaker as it is the patient. Hope you all recover nicely.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Too often the KAF recipe of the month seem so be 'What catalog product can we push this month'?

S_Wirth
                        Participant

Thank you all for thinking of us during our tough days.

I agree that KAF comes up with must-have ingredients for their recipes.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Tonight I'm making spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast.
                            Tomorrow morning I'm going to visit with my sister while her daughter and husband is away on vacation.So I'll be checking in later on so y'all keep up all the good cooking.Sure hope no one is in Florence's path.

BevM
                            Participant

I'm not in Florence path, but my son, who was here with me for Gordon, lives in the Raleigh/Durham area and he is prepared for the next few days. I sure hope it moves quickly out of the area. So many people will be affected!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

BevM sure hope all's well with your son during the storm.Looking ugly already.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

Bev--I hope that all is well with your son.

After lunch on Friday, I tackled our pile of tomatoes. I’m making fresh tomato sauce. I’m trying an experiment and not skinning them, since they worked well in the ratatouille that way, and we are supposed to be eating more skins of vegetables and fruits. My base recipe came from a Cooks Illustrated email (back when they, like KAF sent those out!). I added to heated olive oil some onion, which I sautéed, then added some chopped celery (neither is in the original recipe) and the one clove of garlic I have in the house. After sautéing those vegetables, I added four pounds of tomatoes from our garden that I had cut into chunks. I am happy that I found my Calphalon 10-inch sauce pan when I was rooting around amongst the boxes in the shed last week. It makes it easy to reduce the tomato liquid. I have about 4 cups of sauce. Some of it, I will probably freeze.

Dinner on Friday is stir-fry, made with leftover pork and minimal drippings (deglazed pan with white wine), celery, red bell pepper, halved mushrooms, a large zucchini, chopped. It then gets mixed with buckwheat noodles. Yesterday, we were able to score what will likely be the last of the sweet corn from a local farm, so we bought 12 ears. We had two each last night, but tonight we will limit ourselves to one apiece.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.