What are You Cooking the Week of September 9, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of September 9, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will have leftover Pizza Margherita and leftover lentil soup for dinner tonight, so I'm not cooking, but for those of you whipping up a Sunday meal, here is the start of this week's thread.

Spread the word
      navlys
      Participant

I had purchased some “choice” strip steaks on sale. Because I had to buy 3 I knew after the first 2 that they were not a bargain. So I decided to slice the 3rd steak thin. I marinated it and sautéed it with onions and peppers. Not bad! Served it over garlic mashed potatoes with Parmesan cheese and sugar snap peas.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Choice grade meat is not necessarily poor quality meat, it really depends on the specific cut and the cooking method.

It's hard to find prime grade beef in most local supermarkets here. Recently a lot of meat is being advertised as 'Angus', which tells the consumer essentially nothing about its tenderness.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My husband and I were supposed to go hiking in Tippicanoe State Park tomorrow. He changed his mind and wanted to go today. We negotiated my time for baking and cooking in the morning, so that we could go in the afternoon. That meant I spent the morning cutting up vegetables and making Ratatouille, following a recipe from Jennifer Segal in her blog, “Once Upon a Chef.” I used less eggplant (mine was about 6 oz.). I used two yellow summer squashes rather than the green zucchini. I used a red bell pepper. I cut the garlic to 2 cloves, and I also used only about ½ cup chopped onion (about the maximum I can run by my husband). I did not put in as much salt as she does, and I used a bit less olive oil. For the spices, I used 1 ¼ tsp. of Penzey’s salt-free Tuscan Sunset. I did not use the red pepper flakes. I warmed some up for dinner, and we had it over some bulgur, along with leftover chicken legs. I will definitely make this recipe, with my adaptations, again.

Here's the link to the recipe:

Bonus: The tomatoes are from our garden. The yellow summer squash, onion, red bell pepper, and eggplant came from the local farmers market.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
            • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

My wife has had a really queasy stomach lately, so I haven't done a lot of cooking for a few weeks, just boring stuff like chicken noodle soup (from a can) and macaroni and cheese (from a box or from the deli.)

Tonight she felt up to having cheese souffle.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Hope your wife is feeling better soon Mike.
                Tonight I made cube steak,garden pea salad and macaroni and cheese.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery, Mike.

Tonight I made Salmon and Couscous. Instead of dill, I used 1 tsp. of Penzey's Sunny Paris (was a freebie), and it makes for a nice change. We microwaved peas for the side dish.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

She's still on the BRAT diet for now. I did make rice krispy treats for her today, a slight stretch of BRAT.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Today was a busy day of cooking, as I leave Thursday on a week-long trip. So I made Pasta sauce, Pesto, and Pickles! Pasta sauce to use up most of the ripe tomatoes, pesto to use up the last of the basil, and refrigerator pickles for a potluck tomorrow night, as a side for burgers and dogs. Unfortunately, I had to buy the cucumbers because the plants in my garden have produced only 4 cucumbers this summer. But we've now had a day and a half of gentle rain; I'm not sure how much, since my weather station seems to have stopped tracking rainfall, and it's been too wet to check my rain gauges on the deck!

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I have terrible luck growing cucumbers, but I don't eat a lot of dill pickles these days anyway because they tend to be pretty high in salt. I did buy some cucumbers at the farmer's market a couple of years ago, I still have most of those jars of pickles in the basement.

I had tuna salad in a tomato from the garden tonight. My wife was jealous, but tuna sometimes bothers her in the evening even when her stomach isn't being touchy.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had left over pork loin,peas & carrots and I cooked and drained potatoes cubed up then added butter and sour cream it made like a smooth sauce and was good.
                          Chocomouse hope you have a good time on your trip.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                          chocomouse
                          Participant

Mike, we don't eat a lot of pickles either, and I finally tossed numerous jars I had in my basement too. But if I make just one quart at a time, and keep it front and center in the fridge, we do eat them. I've been on a kick (don't ask me why this year when I don't even have cukes in the garden!) trying out old recipes. Most of these pickles are different - somewhat mild, not really sweet, but not nearly as tart as dills, although I often include dill seed for flavor. Remember BigLakeJudy from the old, old Baking Circle? She had posted a great recipe that I do really like.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I remember BigLakeJudy quite well, I've emailed her a couple of times inviting her to join this group, but I never got a response, maybe her email address has changed?

Sara Wirth seems to have disappeared lately, too.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

Italian Cook and Cwcdesign have also not been posting.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I think Italiancook is still reading but not posting, though I'm not sure why.

I need to work on building up our community with some new readers and posters. I'm thinking about launching a daily 'quiz of the day' feature, I just have to find or build a tool to manage it (so that people can do prior days quizzes) and start building up a number of quizzes so I'm sure I don't miss a day just because I'm distracted or offline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.