What are you cooking the week of September 2, 2018

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of September 2, 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Still on sort of a restricted diet plan here, not sure what we're doing for supper yet, something simple and bland. I've made a lot of custard in the last week.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Taco burgers here with pork-n-beans.Easy.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Tomato soup and open-face fried cheese sandwiches here.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight we had salmon patties,mashed potatoes and green beans seasoned with bacon.

chocomouse
            Participant

Yesterday we hosted a large corn roast for family and friends, so my cooking has focused on food for that: baked beans, hot dogs, refrigerator pickles, ingredients for s'mores, and of course - corn, lots of it. And everyone brought potluck dishes, too. Now we are eating leftovers, and freezing leftover corn. Ears that were roasted in the coals are great for corn chowder, the browned/burnt areas give it a nice smoky flavor.

BakerAunt
              Participant

That sounds so good, Chocomouse!

We had more of the leftover pork tenderloin for dinner, and the little that remained of the mashed potatoes, along with steamed broccoli. I felt the need for something more, so I experimented. I had about ¼ cup leftover quinoa, which I decided to add to a bulgur (cracked wheat) salad. I found an online recipe from Ellie Krieger that The Washington Post had printed and used it as my base. I cooked ½ cup bulgur in 1 cup of water. Once it was cooked, I spread it on a plate to cool, then mixed it with the bit of quinoa, some chopped red onion, some chopped tomatoes from our garden, a Tbs. of olive oil, a tsp. bottled lemon juice, a dash of salt, and 1 ½ tsp. of the Penzey’s Sunny Paris seasoning (was a freebie). It was ok, but it needs feta cheese, so I’ll get some at the grocery tomorrow and add it before we re-run it tomorrow. I’m not sure the Sunny Paris made much of an impact in the recipe.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had cubed pork,rice & tomatoes with lima beans.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

For lunch on Wednesday, I needed to use up a cup of leftover black beans. I cooked ¼ cup bulgur (dry) and mixed it with the beans. I added drizzle of olive oil, ¼ tsp. of Penzey’s Southwest Seasoning (was a freebie), sliced green onion, and chopped tomato from our garden. It made enough for me to have it again tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Your cooking sounds good BakerAunt!
                      We had meatloaf,thickened potatoes and garden peas.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thanks, Joan.

Dinner on Wednesday was Salmon with Dill and Couscous, with steamed broccoli as the side, and sliced tomato.

BevM
                        Participant

Tonight we had a scaled-down version of Thanksgiving with my son visiting from North Carolina. He won't be able to make it in November since he is changing jobs. It was just as good as the November version! I baked a turkey roast, which was very good, mashed potatoes, green beans, dressing and, of course, cranberry sauce. Tommorow will include more clean up from the storm since Mother Nature pruned her trees!!! Maybe I will work off some of the calories!

RiversideLen
                          Participant

That sounds delicious, BevM!

Tonight I baked a pork chop and had it with some pasta and a large salad.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Love dressing and cranberry sauce anytime!

chocomouse
                              Participant

Today I made mushroom soup. Never mind that it was 93* with high humidity, I needed to use up those mushrooms. I'll have some for my dinner tomorrow night, and freeze the remainder for later.

Dinner tonight was chicken thighs on the smoker, with lots of leftovers from the garden and refrigerator: potato salad, corn on the cob, cucumbers, tomatoes and onions in Italian dressing, and steamed yellow squash.

skeptic7
                                Participant

I made Red- Cooked Beef Short Ribs on Tuesday night and cooked it in the slow cooker. I started with a recipe for Red Cooked Beef with Vegetables, only I used two pounds of Beef Short Ribs for the meat, and turnips instead of Carrots and Celery. Red Cooked is a Chinese method of braising or stewing meet in a combination of soy sauce and sherry with sometimes other spices added. I had 1/2 cup soy sauce and 1 cup sherry with some star anise and pepper. This is relatively mild, I've seen recipes with lots of pepper and cinnamon and hot chiles too. This was tasty. I was surprised that the thinly sliced turnips actually took a little longer to cook than the beef. At the time the beef was cooked, the turnips were still a little chewy. I just poked the turnips till they were all under the liquid and turned off the slow cooker, hoping the residual heat in the pot would finish cooking the turnips. That seemed to have done the trick.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.