What are you Cooking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Joan--be sure to bake something particularly yummy to celebrate having your oven in working order again.

I made a new recipe for dinner on Friday: Crispy Oven Fish and Chips with Dill Tartar Sauce. The recipe was one featured in an email or online from the now closed Chefs Catalog. I used a pound of cod and adjusted the proportions accordingly. It called for toasting the panko used for breading the fish. As the fish only bakes for 15 minutes, that gives a nice golden crust. I also cut my potatoes into long wedges (large Russets into six each). The tartar sauce is exceptional. It uses mayonnaise, dill, minced dill pickle, lemon juice. I did not use grated onion, but I did use ¼ tsp. of Penzey’s roasted onion powder. The sauce was a hit with both the visiting son and my husband, as well as with me. I had only made a one-third recipe of it, but I might make a half recipe next time I make it for more than two people. It says a lot when dedicated ketchup eaters will consider tartar sauce as well.

I was hoping to post a link to the recipe, but with Chef's Catalog gone, so is the recipe. If anyone is interested, I will post it at Nebraska Kitchen and note my changes.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had takeout pizza and salad, plus Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake, nothing fancy but something we like and easy.

cwcdesign
        Participant

Belated Anniversary Congratulations to both Joan and Mike! What great milestones to reach:)

BakerAunt, I would love it if you would post the recipe. I like the idea of prefacing the panic - I don't like how pale it looks on baked goods.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Auto-correct has sabotaged you, CWCdesign! I will post the recipe either today or tomorrow. I will post it with my changes, but will add a note about what the original recipe does. The cod I used was packaged cut into squarish pieces; it would work well for a fish fillet sandwich that would be scrumptious with the Tartar sauce.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The parts for the dishwasher, refrigerator and freezer should all be installed on Thursday.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

BakerAunt I haven't baked anything yet except nachos but I will maybe tomorrow.

Tonight we had loaded nachos so not really cooking but it sure was good and easy.

BakerAunt
                Participant

On Saturday, I made a Greek Pasta Salad—riffing on a recipe from the blog Olive Tomato by adding a purple and a brownish red bell pepper and using green onion tops We had it alongside leftover potato salad for dinner. I made my Zucchini-Turkey Loaf with Peach Dijon Mustard glaze for the entre.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

Oh my - it sure did. I’ll translate for anyone who was confused. Prefacing panic should have been “pre-baking panko.” This time auto-correct wanted to write Pan Korean.

But there is something to be said for prefacing panic . . . Sometimes it feels that way.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I made a pork chop and had it with noodles.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.