What are you Cooking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of September 12, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I had to empty out the freezer for the service tech, and found some challah that I had sliced for French toast, so we had French toast for supper tonight.

The good news is that the freezer appears to need a defrost timer (it was replaced just 14 months ago, but replacement parts are only under warranty for 12) and the refrigerator needs a new thermostat. Total repair cost, including service calls, is around $750, better than I had feared.

I've got some of the stuff back in the freezer, but it isn't cooling down as fast as I had hoped, so most of what I'd planned to put back is still in a big styrofoam chest with some dry ice. Hopefully I can get more of it back in before tomorrow morning.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Glad you've got the freezer fixed Mike.

Tonight we had BBQ chicken in the pot with gravy over rice and green beans. I made another trip to see my sister and she's doing well.No covid in the home now but still not letting anyone inside,we sit and enjoy our time on the porch.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

Well, neither is fixed yet, parts are on order for both plus for the dishwasher, and I still need to go buy a new garbage disposal and have someone install it, but the freezer never stopped working completely, it just isn't getting as cold as it should because the defrost timer isn't working properly. (It is supposed to run for about 20 minutes every 8 hours, I believe.)

I'll have to offload the freezer again when the replacement comes in, not because of where that part goes but because he'll need to run the defrost cycle several times to get rid of the built-up ice in the back. So I'm using this as a time to review what was in the freezer and use or throw out a bunch of things.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I'm sorry Mike that you are waiting on parts for the freezer and refrigerator. I hope they will arrive quickly.

For dinner on Tuesday, I made the Cook’s Country All-American Potato Salad. (It is so nice to have the right kind of pickles stocked at my house for it!) I also roasted chicken thighs. We also had microwaved fresh green beans from our garden, as the bean plants are still producing.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We went out tonight to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary to Texas Road House and all was excellent and when we got ready to pay a friend had already paid for us that wasn't expected but a very nice.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Congrats Joan on your 50th!

chocomouse
                Participant

Congratulations, Joan!!

skeptic7
                  Participant

I did a fresh tomato and cheese pizza yesterday. I used Roma tomatoes from the farmer's market. They are drier than regular tomatoes and work better here, and the last of the mozarella in the refrigerator. Its been in the refrigerator for too long, I should have freezed part of it. It turned out nicely, I was afraid that the mozarella had gotten too strong tasting.
                    Also my cousins were visiting King Arthur Flour in Vermont and they sent me an apron! It has one of the old and prettier logos on it. I'm very pleased. Its almost in the too good to use category but I also don't want to just leave it in the closet. I guess I ought to bake my cousins some biscotti and wear the apron. Biscotti ships nicely even in hot weather.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Happy Anniversary, Joan! 50 years is quite an accomplishment!

Skeptic--I wear my nicer aprons for my less messy kitchen endeavors. Last night, for the blueberry pie, I wore a dark multi-striped one that I knew would hide any blueberry juice! Of course, I sometimes forget to put on an apron, which is why I need a row of hooks on which to hang my collection....

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

Congratulations, Joan!

We will have been married 49 years tomorrow (the 17th). I need to remember to get the 2nd Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake I made ahead of my birthday out of the freezer tonight so we can eat it tomorrow.

We're starting to think about what, if anything, we want to do to celebrate our 50th anniversary next year. Most of our friends who were there live in other states, it may be a virtual celebration.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Congratulations to you and your wife, Mike!

I made a batch of yogurt on Thursday. We have leftover potato salad and roasted chicken thighs for dinner tonight, which we will accompany with microwaved fresh broccoli.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

Thanks everyone on the anniversary wishes looking forward to more.

Happy Anniversary for you and your wife Mike wishing ya'll a great day!

We had BLT's tonight with fries.

RiversideLen
                            Participant

Happy Anniversary, Mike!

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

Hope your Anniversary is a good one Mike.

Today we had salmon patties,cheese grits and coleslaw.

The best thing for me today my husband got the oven element in and I'm one happy lady!Len it was a piece of cake to put in after he watched the video.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

Joan, I'm so happy my advice was helpful to you and that you got your oven sorted!

I'm going to have a breaded chicken sandwich and am thinking about making soup to go with it. I have a container of chicken broth in the freezer, I'll simmer broccoli, cauliflower and carrot in it with some dried onion, put the stick blender to it and then thicken it with potato flakes.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.