What are you cooking the week of October 14, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of October 14, 2018?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making a buttermilk baked chicken recipe this evening, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Update: They were OK, but we liked the honey-soy ones I made on Saturday better, I probably won't make this recipe again.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I made BBQ for sandwiches from left over pork tenderloin.

chocomouse
        Participant

I made pizza for dinner, first time since the weather was cool last spring.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Tonight I made fried cubed pork,thickened potatoes in a cream sauce and left over carrots with garden peas.

navlys
            Participant

Well I made peach topped chicken breasts and I think I’m done with Perdue!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm making a meat loaf, with mushrooms and black beans.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We had Taco salad tonight.

RiversideLen
                  Participant

I made small meatballs (about an ounce each) with brown gravy and had it with rice.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Last night we had leftover pizza. Tonight we're having meatloaf, roasted butternut squash and potato, so my husband can have meatloaf sandwiches for meals while I am away for the next week. I'm also making a German venison stew for a big "local foods" event.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I marinated chicken breasts in Italian salad dressing then put in fry pan and seared and cooked till all sauce cooked down,was very tasty and moist,we had stewed squash and garden pea salad with this also.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For Thursday night's dinner, I made my panko-oat bran coating to roast a boneless half chicken breast with potatoes. I rub the chicken with mayonnaise, then roll it in the coating, which includes parmesan and various spices. As usual, I roasted the potatoes that accompany it for the first 40 minutes, then added the chicken. However, the chicken came out oddly, even though I've made this recipe many times before. It was "chewy," as if it had a lot of gristle, which is not supposed to be the case with a chicken breast. It was done, and it was not dry, but it was chewy. It was a particularly large half breast, and we only ate half. Has anyone else had this issue with a boneless, skinless breast? It is from a package of four, and I'm wondering if I should find another way of cooking the remaining ones, including the one that is the other half of this one.

I also roasted a "peanut" pumpkin, then scraped the pumpkin from the shell and pureed it in my food processor. I'll freeze most of it for later use.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

How big was the breast? Some of the super-breasts tend to be a bit rubbery when cooked. (I've seen some that were nearly 2 pounds!)

Lowering the cooking temperature (usually from 375 to 350 for me) and making sure the surface stays moist seems to help. I also like to add a little acid, such as lemon juice or white wine.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Also, see this post on white striping in chicken breasts, which is increasingly common, especially in the really large breasts.

There are several membranes in chicken breasts, which are actually several different muscles, and there are usually membranes in between muscle groups in warm blooded animals. In beef, these are the 'silver skins' that I try so hard to peel or cut off before roasting meat.

Some of them can get noticeably thicker as the bird grows, especially the one between the breast and the tenderloin or 'chicken finger'.

Recently I've been making turkey tenderloins rather than buying deli turkey, which is way too salty, and there's a rubbery membrane in the middle of most of them.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I have noticed this in chicken also.Sometime when I buy chicken boneless breasts to use for chicken tenders there is a very big tendon or whatever it is that I take my knife and cut away.I can push it away from the meat and pull with the knife.And yes they are huge,we like small chickens and they are very hard to find.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

Some of the sites that talk about white striping are a bit alarmist, I'm not planning to stop buying chicken, though I try to stay away from the super-breasts when possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.