What are you cooking the week of October 14, 2018?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you cooking the week of October 14, 2018?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Thanks for digging into the story, Mike. I remember when I split the half breast in half, I was having trouble cutting it, but I figured that was because a fresh one is harder to cut than one that is mostly defrosted. The cooked one was also hard to slice, likely because of the membranes. What Joan noticed went right past me, because I had not seen it before. It makes me angry that I paid more for what is supposed to be a more healthy part of the chicken ($1.79 on sale), and what I bought is actually not flavorful and may not even be that good for me. Worst of all, I have another three halves in the freezer. I'll follow Joan's method and try to cut it out.

I wonder if this is why Navlys said, "I'm done with Perdue," in an earlier post about cooking a chicken breast.

I'm not surprised that two restaurant chains are not going to buy these chickens--it would degrade the food they serve. No company is listed on the package that I bought, which is typical of chicken available at the one grocery store in town. I've also had issues with beef that I've bought at that store.

Maybe sticking with the small chicken thighs is not such a bad idea.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Yesterday I had bacon,turnips,potato salad and corn bread.Today I'm frying chicken tenders(which I have beat and soaked in buttermilk yeah it's one of those big chicken breasts) left over mashed potatoes that I've added cheese and bacon bits and left over squash.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I made pumpkin butter on Saturday afternoon, using a recipe from Kelsey Youngman on the Food & Wine website. I began by roasting a pumpkin that is slightly less than 3 lbs. I followed the directions, except that I had no apple cider, so I substituted 1 Tbs. of boiled cider and 3 Tbs. water. The pumpkin butter is not too sweet, which is what I like. Here's the link:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/pumpkin-butter

For Saturday dinner, I made Salmon and Couscous, but this time, instead of dill, I used ½ tsp. of Penzey’s Greek seasoning, which I’d not used before. I like the taste and will use it again.

RiversideLen
          Participant

I put a pork roast on the BBQ. Served it with couscous, asparagus and pumpkin pie.

navlys
            Participant

In reply to why "I am done with Perdue": I cooked my boneless skinless chicken breasts the same way I always do and they turned out thick and chewy. I cooked some thin sliced breasts and noticed the same chewy texture. I think they are processing the chicken with some new chemical. A few years back I marinated my chicken breasts in buttermilk (powder) for too long and their texture was similar to what I am finding now. I did call Perdue and they were very nice about it but I doubt things will change soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.