What are You Cooking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will have delicious leftovers tonight, but there is the thread for those of you who are cooking something up for today.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We're having french fries and Sloppy Joe's.

chocomouse
        Participant

Dinner was stuffed peppers. I spent most of the day prepping and freezing green bell peppers, in strips and in bite sized chunks. Then I prepped red bell peppers, onions, and garlic for the hot pepper relish I can every fall. I'll finish it tomorrow, after I grocery shop and buy jalepenos for it.

chocomouse
          Participant

Monday night dinner was grilled salmon, roasted potatoes, broccoli, and green salad. It has been a gorgeous day here - clear blue skies and 70*. Hard to believe winter will soon be upon us.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

It was in the mid 70's here in Nebraska, too, but supposed to drop back into the 50's for a few days then back up to the 70's again. Kind of a typical fall.

BakerAunt
              Participant

To go with leftover boneless pork for Monday dinner, I roasted an Acorn Squash, using part of a recipe from Food and Wine: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/healthy-chicken-and-roasted-acorn-squash It was ok, but it didn’t wow either my husband nor me. I’m trying to find more squash recipes to take advantage of the autumn harvest and the nutritional value of squash. We also had bulgur cooked in turkey/chicken broth and microwaved broccoli.

Beginning Friday night, we have had fall weather for the first time. No 70s for us in northern Indiana! It has been nice to use our wood stove again. We missed it when we were living in the apt. last year during our renovation.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
                RiversideLen
                Participant

Tonight I roasted a pork chop and an acorn squash stuffed with an apple and walnuts.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Last night we had smoked pork chops,baked sweet potato and left over garden peas.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I used last night’s leftover squash to make a kind of stir-fry for lunch on Tuesday. I cooked ¼ cup bulgur in water, then mixed it with frozen broccoli, the squash, a little diced ham, and some dried onion. It came out well, so perhaps squash is better when it is a part of a combination rather than going solo. I have enough for an additional day as well.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I always love left overs BakerAunt!

Tonight we had fried cubed pork,rice and tomato gravy,creamed corn and boiled okra.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

I've been living on left-overs and take-out for most of the last two weeks, I'm looking forward to making something for supper tonight, even if it is only something simple like mac and cheese with ground beef.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

On Tuesday, I also made tomato sauce from the 2 lbs. of tomatoes we picked a few days ago. It’s likely slated for pizza. We did not have a lot of tomatoes this year since we had a late start planting, due to the house construction. The plant I bought—Carbon—had sweet tomatoes, but perhaps because of that they were subject to cracking and in some cases spoiling before they were ready for picking.

Dinner on Tuesday was stir-fry, using the leftover pork and what I deglazed from the pan. I used green onion, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, eggplant, mushrooms, and broccoli (including some from our garden—about the size of a dime). Of course we had soba noodles with it.

navlys
                            Participant

I found lamb loin chops on sale at Costco and was severely missing them so...I mixed up olive oil, rosemary, thyme and kosher salt. I rubbed the chops on both sides. Then I sauteed them on each side for 3 min/side and then I baked them for 10 min. in a preheated 400 oven. I served them with mint jelly, potato salad and green beans with feta cheese. These were thick chops and they tasted mighty fine.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

For breakfast I made buckwheat pancakes with some oats and cocoa powder.

For dinner I'm making an easy stuffed pepper, I halved a red bell pepper and popped in a meatball from the freezer into each half. Not a bad fit. I'll bake them semi covered as the balls are still frozen.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

That does sound like an easy way to do a stuffed pepper.

We're having salad with tuna fish tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.