What are You Cooking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of October 13, 2019?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

Tonight we had a pot roast, with potatoes, onions, and carrots. It is very windy, with peaks of 15 mph, and the storm isn't even quite here yet. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling on the interstates, pikes, and thruways most of tomorrow, going to the NY Sheep and Wool Festival.

Joan Simpson
      Participant

Tonight we had smoked pork chops,rice and lima beans.

skeptic7
        Participant

Have fun at the NY Sheep and wool chocomouse. Yesterday I had baked chicken thigh with leftover Afghan pumpkin with yogurt sauce. The pumpkin was much better warmed up, then it had been the first time around, probably the tomato sauce improved after being refrigerated.

I am going to do a colonscopy next week. I have two days without whole grains, or raw vegetables or raw fruit in preparation as well as a day of essentially fasting. Its been so long since I first started eating whole wheat flour and brown rice that this is going to be disconcerting. I do cook with white flour, and eat white rice but thats an occasional treat and mainly when eating out.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Best wishes Skeptic on the restrictive diet and the colonoscopy.

Speaking of white bread: I was given a hard baguette by someone who did not want it wasted and, as I’m a cook and baker, she decided that I could use it. That was the perfect impetus to try King Arthur’s Holiday Breakfast Strata:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/holiday-breakfast-strata-recipe

I put it together on Wednesday evening and baked it Thursday morning to have at lunch. I made a half recipe in an 8x8 inch Pyrex dish. I used just 3 eggs, since I didn’t want to split an egg or use one more. I don’t eat sausage anymore, so I substituted diced ham. I also used 8 oz. of frozen, chopped broccoli rather than fresh. I used less cheese and I used 2%. 1 3/4 of the milk was 2% that the same people gave us, and I wanted to use it up. I added some sliced red bell pepper for the second half of the bake. Because I halved the recipe, after the initial 45-minute bake, I checked it at 25 minutes, and it was done. It got a little brown on the bottom, so I would probably cut the first cooking time down next time as well. It’s a bit bland. I should have realized that would happen when I substituted ham for sausage and used sweet curry powder instead of dried mustard. I will have an additional three lunches from it. Although somewhat higher in saturated fat for my normal lunch, it is excellent in calcium.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by BakerAunt.
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

The prep for a colonoscopy is nasty, but it is better than it used to be when you had to drink a whole gallon of what tasted like antifreeze with a HEAVY fake-cherry flavor to it.

I made a lavash pizza tonight.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Thursday dinner was chicken thighs roasted on a rack, cut-up potatoes drizzled with olive oil and roasted in a separate pan next to it, a small butternut squash (a new, small variety), cut up, tossed with olive oil and a little maple syrup and roasted in my small countertop oven. We also had microwaved green beans, the last from our garden.

RiversideLen
                Participant

I've had a 12 pound turkey in the freezer since last November so I figured it was time to cook it. Lots more room in the freezer now!

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Tonight we had fried chicken breast,potato salad and mixed greens out of a can which I doctored up.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Last night we had taco salad and tonight we had spaghetti and meat sauce with garlic toast,enough spaghetti for another meal and to me it always tastes better when mixed together a couple days in the fridge,like the flavor meld together.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had tomato soup and fried cheese sandwiches for supper tonight.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.