What are you Cooking the Week of November 6, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of November 6, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm making some molded chocolates today, and will also make a number of chocolate batons for making chocolate croissants (chocolatines).

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

Yummy on the chocolate Mike.

We had baked chicken, baked sweet potato and green beans.

BakerAunt
        Participant

On Sunday, I made tomato sauce from three large and two small tomatoes that finally finished ripening in the house. I froze it for future use.

I also roasted one of the outlier butternut squashes that developed from what was supposed to be a Honey Nut Squash seed. It has a somewhat longer neck than most butternut squashes, so I cut the squash in chunks and tossed it in olive oil before roasting. We had it with the rest of the pork tenderloin, the little bit of leftover mashed potatoes, some applesauce from the freezer, and microwaved fresh broccoli.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I made over 60 small molded chocolates today, the plan is to put them in an Advent calendar for our granddaughter.

I also made 40 chocolate batons for making chocolate croissants (Jimmy Griffin calls them chocolatines). They're similar in size to the larger ones that Callabaut sells, about 4 inches long.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

We had leftover beef stew over fresh corn bread.

cwcdesign
              Participant

On Saturday night, I made sheet pan salmon with potatoes and asparagus. I love the new stove! I think Will likes it too - he's just a bit grumbly about it, like his dad, cuz he has to learn new tricks.

Asparagus was on sale at HT this week, so I bought 2 bunches. Tonight, I'm going to use the second bunch with pasta, cream sauce, Caprese chicken sausage and sun dried tomatoes.

BTW Joan, I followed your lead and went to Publix today when I was in Brunswick. The AP was still on sale so I had to buy 2. I also bought a bag of bread flour cuz it was cheaper than HT.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For Monday night dinner, I made Salmon and Couscous with Penzey's Greek Seasoning. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli. We have been getting spectacular broccoli from a vendor at the farmers' market. It will be hard to go back to the stuff from the store once no more is available.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I'm making a big pot of chili today, much of which will go in the freezer.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I roasted chicken thighs on Tuesday for dinner. I re-heated the leftover butternut squash at a higher temperature in the oven, and that improved its flavor. We also microwaved a packet of the green beans that I froze this summer. While the beans will never be as wonderful as when fresh, they are much better than the ones in the supermarket's frozen food section.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had sausage, peppers, onion and cheese omelette which was easy and good tonight.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Tonight we had taco salads.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

We are having leftover roasted chicken thighs, a bit of leftover butternut squash and a freshly roasted Honey Nut squash, and microwaved frozen peas.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Aside from a cinnamon roll (or two), I'm not sure what we're having for supper. Diane had chili for lunch and plans to have it again tomorrow, so she won't want it tonight.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had Philly-style cheesesteaks.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

For lunch on Thursday, I tried something new. I like eating the salad turnips from the farmers' market raw. They are delicious. However, I never want to waste the turnip greens, which are high in vitamins and minerals such as calcium. I have usually put them into soups, but I recalled reading a recipe somewhere for "greens and beans." I thought it might be in the Washington Post's "Eat Voraciously," but the site does not appear to be searchable, and the recipe I found required more ingredients than I had on hand. However, the Google search also showed one for "Smoky Beans and Greens," from Food & Wine, which was more a general technique. This morning, I cooked the cup of dry white beans that I had soaked overnight. Using olive oil, I sauteed a shallot I wanted to use up with a small red bell pepper from our garden, added some minced garlic at the end for about 30 seconds. I added a bit more olive oil, then sauteed the cut-up turnip greens. I added the cooked beans with their liquid, about 2 Tbs. tomato paste, and about 1 ½ cups of turkey broth that I had thawed. I seasoned with ½ tsp. of Penzey's Smoked Spanish Paprika and a bit of fresh pepper and simmered for a few minutes. I had some, as recommended, in a shallow bowl, topped with Parmesan. I have enough for two more lunches. I will use this Beans and Greens recipe as my base recipe.

[Quick Note for people reading this post: skip the turnip greens if you take a blood thinner.]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.