What are you Cooking the Week of May 2, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of May 2, 2021?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm glad that your sister seems to be getting better, Joan.

I roasted more sweet potato chunks on Wednesday to go with leftover roast chicken, and a bit of leftover mashed potatoes and gravy from last night. We also had a mixed greens salad with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and green onion tops.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We had soup and salad here tonight.

Janiebakes
        Participant

We had fish tacos last night as our bow to Cinco de Mayo. Today we had a kind of lasagne using butternut squash instead of pasta. We are not trying to eat low carb as much as more nutritious carb. The recipe called for a sauce of ground turkey,carrots, onion, garlic, spinach, tomato past, diced tomato, red wine, sage and ricotta to be layered with very thin sweet potato slices and topped and low fat mozzerella. I subbed mozzerella for the ricotta and butternut squash for the sweet potato.I like using carrots in a sauce to gentle the acid bite of the tomatoes. I baked the squash last night so I could peel it and slice thinly. Layered squash then sauce and about half a cup of fresh mozzerella cut into strips. More squash, sauce and cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes until cheese is golden. It was very good.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Janiebakes--We follow a similar cooking and eating pattern of seeking more nutritious carbs. I have a "lasagna" that uses spaghetti squash that I like very much but that gives my husband issues due to the acidity of tomatoes. I may try your technique of adding some carrot to the sauce. I am also a great fan of butternut squash.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I made a large pot of chicken broth from the remains of the chicken I roasted on Monday, along with the remains of another one that I had frozen. Most of that broth will be used in the next few days, although I froze two one-cup containers.

For dinner on Thursday, I stir-fried carrots, celery, red bell pepper, mushrooms, a zucchini, added some parsley and reconstituted dry onion, then mixed it with the leftover chicken and farro that I had cooked in some of the chicken broth I made yesterday. We have enough for an additional meal tomorrow.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had a lahvosh pizza tonight.

chocomouse
              Participant

We had pizza, also!

Joan Simpson
                Participant

We had meatloaf,steamed cabbage and macaroni and cheese.

cwcdesign
                  Participant

We had artichokes with homemade ranch dressing and grilled chicken sausages.

Janiebakes
                    Participant

BakerAunt, here is the link for the original recipe. You seem like someone who knows their way around substitutions so I will leave all that up to you. https://www.weightwatchers.com/ca/en/recipe/sweet-potato-lasagna-turkey-and-sage/5dc2156c888bee00e158749f

Spaghetti squash and I are not good friends. I find it very watery when baked. I love butternut squash but as I get older removing the peel is increasing painful to my hands. Sometimes I put it in the microwave for two minutes to soften the peel but mostly I bake it until soft.I know you can get it peeled and cubed in the grocery store but that never seems as fresh to me. I use it in all kinds of ways; soups, mash, cookies and pies. David Leite author of the New Portugues Table has a good recipe for pumpkin soup that uses butternut squash instead of pumpkin. He garnishes it with spiced pumpkin seeds. After buying pumpkin seeds a few times for the recipe it occurred to me that I could just save the squash seeds. Let me know if you would like the recipe.

CWdesign, your artichokes and chicken sausage sound wonderful. Yum

The rain has let up for the afternoon so we are grilling.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

I grilled marinated chicken breast,that was it.We've been doing alot of cleaning and getting ready for our son and his girlfriend,they're coming in Sunday and will be here a few days.We're so excited!

My sister came home and is better,thanks all!

I swear I don't know where all the dust comes from,sheesh.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Joan Simpson.
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

When I bake spaghetti squash, I cut them in half and bake them face down on parchment, that seems to keep the squash from getting all watery.

But my wife doesn't really care much for spaghetti squash, and she prefers it when I make semolina pasta because it has less impact on her blood sugar.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

I'm glad to hear that your sister is home from the hospital, Joan.

I bake my spaghetti squash the same way Mike does. I only have two recipes so far in which I like it: this faux lasagna, which is really a casserole, and a tart recipe that I found in Ken Haedrich's The Harvest Baker. (I use a deeper tart pan and my own oil crust in place of his butter one.)

Thanks for posting the link to the recipe, Janiebakes. It gives me some additional ideas for such faux lasagnas.

cwcdesign
                            Participant

Joan, I'm so glad to hear your sister is home and doing better. COPD is such a bear.

The dust comes from all the frigging pollen we've had this year - I swear it is worse and going on for a longer period of time. And, also from having to turn on the AC. At least the last few nights have been nice and cool. That's low 60's to us, but I know to those of you up North it sounds like summer. I love it best when the temps are in the 60's to low 70's - after that it gets too hot!

Will made a nice pasta dish to celebrate my mom's birthday - she would have been 90 yesterday. I went to the cemetery to "see" her - I saw a bluebird in the tree and as I approached the niche where she is, I hear a rustle - it was a deer resting in a little open patch right across from her niche, there was another one as well. The deer stood and watched me for a little bit and moved off, but not too far. It's nice to know someone is looking after my mom.

chocomouse
                              Participant

I also make a faux lasagna in spaghetti squash. You simply bake the squash (the way Mike does) and shred the strands. Then layer typical lasagna ingredients, minus the pasta, on top of the strands. Bake, I recall probably about 20 minutes at 350. I've also done the same thing using favorite pizza ingredients, and plan to try taco salad and chicken alfredo the same way. I should think most favorite casseroles with pasta would work for this, or a sauce you would serve on pasta.

Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

I forgot to mention, if you put a little oil on the outside of the spaghetti squash, it seems to do a better job of releasing all the strands.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.