What are you Cooking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking โ€” (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of May 15, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Not sure about supper plans, possibly burgers but I need to make buns.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had hamburgers that I smoked yesterday and we had fries with them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

With my older stepson staying with us through later July, and doing some of his own cooking, I needed to make room in the apartment freezer for him to store food, so I have been using up items in both the house and the apartment freezer sections. On Sunday, I used the last of the tomato sauce I froze this summer, and the 2 cups of black beans I froze a couple of months ago to make a sauce with onions, carrots, celery, and kale. I seasoned with Penzey's Tuscan Sunset (2 tsp.) and 1/4 tsp. chili powder, some red wine, and some Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of sugar. It did not taste quite right, so I looked at the Tuscan Sunset ingredients and knew what I was missing was rosemary, which my mother always put into her spaghetti sauce, so I added it. I had about 2 oz. of leftover whole wheat tubular pasta, so I cooked and added it. It is much more a sauce with a bit of pasta, but that is what I wanted as part of my plan to increase vegetables and beans in my lunches. I have enough for about four more days of what is more like chili with a bit of pasta.

navlys
          Participant

I made a hearty salad with bagged greens, noodles, turkey, sugar snap peas, sliced red pepper, tomatoes, cran raisins, croutons from the cheesy semolina bread, feta cheese , chopped maple pecans and Good Seasons dressing. Phew!

BakerAunt
            Participant

Sounds delicious, Navlys!

One reason I rarely use Bon Appetit or even newspaper recipes these days:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/comics/half-full-by-maria-scrivan/ss-AAXkkIA?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6aa2817f4e5b4a63b1c9b34a987b9230

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Thanks for the big laugh, BA!

navlys
                Participant

I've been to that place where I have bought those expensive "you only used once" ingredients and realized that it I will stay away from there.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Dinner tonight was ribs grilled with Sweet Baby Ray barbeque sauce, potato salad, and grilled asparagus, the first of the season. My husband grilled on the deck with an umbrella through most of a wicked thunder storm! I was reminded of Ben Franklin . . .

BakerAunt
                    Participant

Chocomouse, your husband is definitely a grill fanatic.

I had planned roast chicken for Monday's dinner, but the chicken, which had been in the refrigerator for three and a half days was still not thawed. We needed to make a trip to the grocery for water (we refill our large bottles), so I checked out the meat section and found two packages of stew meat that were marked down for quick sale. I made a big batch of Beef Stew. As there are three of us for dinner (and Millennial males have a hearty appetite), I made the recipe with double the beef but three times the vegetables. I use the Penzeys beef base for flavoring, along with rosemary, and half teaspoons of their Tsardust Nights and Roasted Spanish Paprika, along with two bay leaves. I also added 1 Tbs. sugar, 2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce, and 2 Tbs. tomato paste.. I also used some garlic and rehydrated onion. The vegetables were carrots, yellow potatoes, mushrooms, and frozen peas. I thickened it with 1/3 cup Clear Jel and 1/2 cup water.

It was one of the best stews I have made.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had beef stew with potatoes,carrots,and onions.I start it on top of stove then put in roasting pan and bake for 2 hours.We have this ladled over corn bread.

BakerAunt we were thinking alike tonight.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

Joan--We do seem to have a knack for picking some of the same foods or meals. ๐Ÿ™‚

I do my stew completely on the stove top in a heavy Le Creuset pan, either the 5 1/2 - qt. or the 71/2 qt., depending on how much. After I brown the meat in avocado oil (low smoke point), I add minced garlic for about 40 seconds, then a cup of red wine to deglaze the pan. I return the meat to the pan, along with water, the spices, and the seasonings, except for the tomato paste, bring it to a boil, then let it simmer covered for two hours on the stove top. I think that the wine and the long simmer help tenderize the meat. I then add the carrots and potatoes, bring to boil, then cook on low medium heat (how exactly do I describe it?) for about 40 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms, before adding the peas an hour after the potatoes and carrots.

I can see how it would work well in the oven, since that is what I used to do when I would make pot roast.

kimbob
                          Participant

We had pork loin, green beans, potato salad for me, coleslaw for my husband.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight we had marinated chargrilled chicken with sauteed onions ,broccoli and cheese and candied sweet potatoes.

chocomouse
                              Participant

We had grilled pork chops, leftover potato salad, and a green salad.

RiversideLen
                                Participant

On Monday I had chicken thighs simmered in pasta sauce, with bowtie pasta.

Yesterday I had quesadillas, refried beans, cornbread and a salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.