What are you Cooking the Week of March 7, 2021?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of March 7, 2021?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

I made a pot roast with potatoes, onions, and carrots, along with dinner rolls.

We still have 4-6 inches of snow on the ground. That's good, in the woods, it will help insulate the ground and keep the sap running for maple syrup. The sap needs warm days, around 35-40* is good, and cold nights, around 25-32*.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I made another batch of yogurt on Wednesday.

Today the ice went off the lake after a couple days of warm weather and strong winds. It won't be back again this season.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had hamburger steaks with onion gravy,mashed potatoes and pole beans.

BakerAunt
          Participant

To accompany leftover roasted chicken thigh for Thursday’s dinner, I thawed a brown and wild rice mix that I froze a couple of weeks ago and added it to carrots and celery sauteed in olive oil, then mixed in minced parsley at the end. We also had microwaved fresh broccoli

Italiancook
            Participant

I've been enjoying the effort of my past-Dose 2 vaccinated husband. A week or so ago, he went to the fresh produce store. I craved so many items that it's been a struggle to cook and eat them all before they can spoil. We've had hot artichokes with butter. I also tried a cold artichoke recipe in Better Homes & Garden 75th Anniversary cookbook. It suggests serving with a sour cream sauce that has a little Dijon mustard & a suggested herb choice. I used dried dill. I'm not ruling out the sauce, but next time I'll use more Dijon and more dill. We both like cold artichokes better than hot ones. As much as I'm grateful for the artichokes, I must say I had forgotten how much time it takes to prep them. The first time took the longest. Second time, I had developed a system, but still, prepping 4 artichokes is time-consuming.

I have been wanting to make Allrecipes slow-cooker pork loin & sauerkraut for quite some time. My mother-in-law believed Libby's sauerkraut is the best, and somewhere I read an article that agrees with her. No Libbey's around here. So I settled on an off-brand. The recipe calls for a 4-pound roast. I assumed that was bone-in. I had a 3.25 pound boneless butt in the freezer and used that. I cooked it for the shortest time in the recipe. My husband doesn't like this dinner, so I feasted on pork and mashed potatoes smothered in sauerkraut. I'll be enjoying this for several days.

Len has mushroom gravy, Joan has onion gravy, so I decided to make sauerkraut gravy when the sauerkraut is gone. I refrigerated all the liquid from the crockpot, and it has some sauerkraut in it. I'm going to use it as the liquid in gravy for mashed potatoes.

I have cooked broccoli in the refrigerator and roasted chicken and fresh spinach. Tomorrow's lunch will be those leftovers with wilted spinach.

I'll also make a double batch of The Neely's (Food Network) Asparagus Soup tomorrow. I'll still have Swiss Chard & great looking strawberries to process into meals and dessert. After that, I'll be ready to send my husband back to the market.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Cabbage is on sale this week, so I bought 3 heads of it and I'll make a batch of sauerkraut from them.

I bought a couple of artichokes the other day, too, but we haven't made them yet.

RiversideLen
                Participant

Last night I had a ham and provolone sandwich with broccoli and cauliflower.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

To go with leftover roasted chicken thighs for Friday night dinner, I cooked a cup of bulgur in 2 cups of turkey broth from the freezer. We also had microwaved frozen peas.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

We had oyster stew.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

We had a lavash pizza last night, with tomato chunks (instead of sauce), mushrooms, artichoke hearts, havarti, mozzarella and a sprinkling of 4 cheese blend.

We ate the whole thing, usually there's a piece or two left, but this one was REALLY good.

Italiancook
                        Participant

I made Grandpa's Classic Coney Sauce that I found at allrecipes.com. I cut sugar in half, and that was fine. I reduced salt by 1/4 teaspoon, but should have reduced by 1/2 teaspoon. I browned meat and onion before putting in crockpot, as recipe suggests. A reviewer mentioned 3 hours, and that's what I did. My mistake was letting it stand on warm for 45 minutes. That burned a little of one edge -- probably a hot spot in the pot. I stirred the burnt bits into the sauce & no one noticed. This is really meant for a group, because I ended up with three-fourths of a quart after we ate. It's in the freezer, because we rarely have hot dogs. I bought them special just to try this sauce.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had taco salad.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

We had artichokes and apple pie.

kimbob
                              Participant

Salmon with broccoli and fries on Thursday. Crustless quiche on Friday. Beef stroganoff on Saturday. KafvItalian supermarket bread with all 3.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.