What are You Cooking the Week of March 12, 2017

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of March 12, 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    RiversideLen
    Participant

BA, I'm glad you made it to your destination safely. Tuna casserole sounds good, I haven't had one of those in years.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Thanks, RL.

Dinner on Tuesday evening was roasted chicken quarters and cut up sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil and maple syrup, then sprinkled with rosemary. Steamed green beans completed the dinner.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by BakerAunt.
        aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I'm with Len... I can only think of three styles, unless you count Sicilian but I hardly ever saw that and never thought of it as distinctively Chicagoan.

Growing up we went to a place called Nickie's which was thin because that was all there was in the neighborhood. Once or twice Dad would drive to the Northside for Uno's and that was when we had deep dish. We also went to Home Run Inn a couple of time which I remember as being a couple of miles west of Comiskey. Later on, when I lived in Seattle I found frozen Home Run Inn pizza in the grocery store near my house. It is still the best frozen pizza I've ever had.

Then Giordano's open on the Southside and a place called the Medici opened in Hyde Park and suddenly we had more choices than Nickie's thin crust.

So beyond thin, deep dish, and stuffed what are the other two?

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Let's see if I can remember them all:

Deep Dish
            Stuffed
            Thin Crust
            Cracker Crust (almost like Mazoh)
            Cake-style (think 1-2 inch thick dough.) There were at least two variants on this, Nancy's (on the west side) was pretty good, The Inferno (in Evanston) tasted like raw dough to me.

To that I would have added Pizza Bread, which was the specialty of the house at Gulliver's on Howard Street, just across the city line into Chicago, the stuff was so popular you'd place your order for 1 or usually more orders of pizza bread while waiting for a table. I"m told the place changed hands 10-15 years ago and the new owners changed the recipes, probably to save money, and the quality went downhill fast, so they lost the Northwestern student trade. But they probably lost a lot of that when Evanston stopped being a dry town, these days they even sell beer in the Student Union, what the WCTU (national HQ in Evanston) must think of THAT!!

There were some places making a flatbread pizza back then, too, including one that I think made it on naan, and one or two that made pizza on lavosh, which was similar but not quite the same as the cracker crust pizza, because the lavosh was pre-baked, sauce and cheese added, then essentially broiled to melt stuff, whereas the cracker-crust went into the oven with the dough still raw and all the toppings on it.

We lived near Main Street in Evanston for several years, there was a nearby place called The Pizza Oven that was just a hole-in-the-wall place with thin crust pizzas, but their sauce was the best pizza sauce I've ever had! I discovered them my freshman year at Northwestern, they didn't have sit-down space and were too far away for most of the students to go there, but they did delivery. A few years later, there was a Sunday just before finals that I was studying with my future wife at her sorority house and we ordered from Pizza Oven. When it came, her sorority sisters descended on us like locusts on a wheat field, so we pooled funds and ordered 2 more pizzas, then 2 more, I think we wound up ordering a total of 11 or 12 that day.

The original My Pie near the Loyola campus had a pizza that defied categorization. I think they moved, don't know if they still make the same pizzas.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I made a pot roast tonight, nothing fancy but I did throw in a cup of red wine. I also made a small batch of popovers, I've discovered that the King Arthur popover recipe from the KAF Bakers Companion works great if you make 1/3 batch (1 whole egg) and that gives us 2 popover each. My wife says they're 10-11 carbs each.

cwcdesign
              Participant

I made Chicken Marbella (my version) for a dinner party last night. This time I marinated it for 48 hours - usually 24. It was the best one I've made!

cwcdesign
                Participant

Home Run Inn pizza is being advertised at my local Harris Teeter this week. I'd not heard of it until you all talked about it here

Pyewacket
                  Participant

Basmati rice in my NEW ZO MICOM FUZZY LOGIC rice cooker, which came out excellently well, and Kung Pao Chicken out of a bag that was a disappointment. I now know I will need to hit that with rooster sauce before finishing off the left overs.

Last week I baked bird bread - that is bread FOR my birds, not bread made out of birds, LOL! They went nuts for it. Well, the parakeets did. The finches turned their beaks up at it. It was made of eggs, spelt flour, buckwheat flour, mooshed up veggies, and various bird-approved seeds and whatnot.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Pyewacket.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Home Run Inn is not one I knew back in the 70's.

I may be one of a few dozen people who still remember Ron Santo's Pro's Pizza, the frozen ones were pretty good for 1960's frozen pizza.

The local paper in Lincoln recently ran a feature on local pizza, there were a dozen or so places I've not been to, but since my wife is on a low-carb diet pizza isn't high on our food list. And I've called about half of those restaurants to ask if there's garlic in their pizza sauce, the answer is always yes.

Even Vals has a little garlic in their pizza sauce, but we have it every now and then anyway.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Today I made scrambled eggs and bacon for a hearty breakfast to send my younger stepson and his friend off on their trip to Mammoth National Park. I used 1 tsp. of Penzey's Mural Seasoning in the eggs and cooked them in a bit of bacon grease. The guys were impressed. I had four slices of bacon left over, so I made Kid Pizza's Mother's Spinach and Lentil Soup. As it is still cold here, I cooked it on top of the wood stove. I sautéed the onion and the garlic in a bit of bacon grease before adding them. For seasoning, I used 2 tsp. sage. I used green French lentils, and I did include sliced carrots. I had a little taste, and it is very good. It is a versatile recipe that lets the cook make use of whatever is on hand. I will freeze what we do not eat before we leave.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I remember Ron Santo's Pizza but I don't think I ever had it. I was/am a big Ron Santo fan but I was just a kid back then and my opinion didn't carry too much weight, lol.

Bronx
                          Participant

Last Sunday I slow cooked a bottom round roast. Used to put some soy sauce and a tiny dash of oregano in the pot, which I liked but the dog wouldn't eat it. This time I substituted some raw apple cider vinegar and a little dried mustard. It came out fairly decent and even the dog ate it.

Bronx

Italiancook
                            Participant

I made a pot of Hamburger-Vegetable Soup from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook.

cwcdesign
                              Participant

We actually had cold temperatures this week, down in the 30s and 40s so yesterday I tried a slow cooker version of broccoli cheddar soup. Definitely OK, but not a version I'd make again.

Italiancook
                                Participant

I have Florentine Potato Soup in the slow cooker. Nothing exciting here on the cooking front.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.