What are you Cooking the Week of June 26, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of June 26, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

Mike my son is a great smoker of meats and he told me if your smoke chips burn out not to worry all your flavor of the smoke wood will be in the first 30 min to an hour, no need to add more smoke wood.

I love anything smoked. Sounds like you'll be enjoying some brisket soon!

We had Stew beef with carrots, potatoes and onion over corn bread.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

The brisket came out way too salty, I'm guessing I didn't get it washed off enough after the cure, because there's no salt in the rub. We ate it anyway, but I'm looking into ways to lessen the salt impact after something is smoked, warming it in a pot of unsalted beef stock or water seem to be the most common suggestions. If your son has other suggestions, Joan, post them here.

Hard to judge the flavor with it being so heavy on the salt, but I don't think it's very close to Montreal Smoked Meat. (Of course, I've only had it twice.)

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Tonight we had chargrilled chicken,fresh stewed squash, cucumbers in vinegar with a little sugar salt and pepper, and leftover butter beans.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Looks like putting the brisket in a pan of hot water for a couple of hours is going to leach out a lot of the salt but leave the other flavors pretty much intact.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Now it tastes like a good pastrami with a peppery aftertaste. I can also taste the mustard and coriander. Still salty but now it is within reasonable limits, not something you choke on.

I've got a lot of it left, probably around 7 pounds, more than half of the flat and all of the point/deckle, so I plan to slice it tonight, then use the vacuum sealer to put it into half-pound (or so) bags. That way I can defrost one overnight then pop it in boiling water for five minutes before serving it.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Last night I made salmon patties (canned salmon). Had it with some noodles and a big salad.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

We had BLT's.

chocomouse
                  Participant

We had shish-kebobs with chicken, sweet red pepper and onions, and leftover potato salad.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

I made yogurt on Friday.

For Friday’s lunch, I used leftover brown rice to make a combination dish. I sauteed onion and celery, mushrooms, and garlic in olive oil. I added a can of diced tomatoes with hatch chilis, along with 1/2 tsp. Penzey's Tuscan Seasoning, a few shakes of chili powder, and freshly ground pepper. I added a can of chicken and the leftover brown rice. My older stepson had the rest of it for dinner tonight, while my husband and I finished up the black-eyed peas and ham. That clears out all the leftovers.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

We had sausage,leftover rice and tomato gravy, lima beans and buttermilk biscuits.All our leftovers are gone too.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made chicken breast and a large salad.

Joan Simpson
                          Participant

We had cheese burgers and fries tonight.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I'm planning KC Strip Steaks (bone in) on the grill. Plus some corn on the cob.

BakerAunt
                              Participant

For Saturday night dinner, we had salmon and couscous with Penzey's Greek Seasoning and microwaved fresh broccoli.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Dinner was sausages and blueberry pancakes. Soon, we'll have fresh instead of frozen berries!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.