What are You Cooking the Week of June 19, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of June 19, 2022?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

We had baked chicken, fresh butter beans, candied sweet potatoes and a cucumber-tomato-onion salad with a vinegar & oil dressing.

chocomouse
      Participant

Thursday night - pizza!

BakerAunt
        Participant

For dinner on Thursday, I roasted sweet potatoes, cut into large chunks, and toasted in olive oil, to go with the rest of the turkey loaf. We also had a salad. For dessert, we had strawberries.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

I fried a chicken breast which we halved ,fresh pink eye peas and potato salad,more cucumber salad leftover from yesterday.

rottiedogs
            Participant

We had steak, french fries and corn on the cob. Kind of ordinary but tasty!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I made the crab alfredo tonight. Wasn't my best alfredo sauce, but I was working with different cheeses than before.

Tomorrow it's back to steaks on the grill. I also bought a 14 pound brisket today and will be starting the cure process tomorrow, it'll probably go on the grill on Wednesday.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

Tonight we had sausage,onion and peppers with some canned diced tomatoes over rice and leftover butter beans on the side.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Today's steaks came out good, I'm starting to get the grill figured out. A filet mignon is tricky, though, because my wife likes hers medium to medium-well (little or no pink). That means about 155 degrees in the center. I like my steaks more like 145 in the middle. And these weren't uniformly thick filet slices, probably end cuts. Next time I'll probably try a different store for filet.

So my T-bone was done several minutes before her filet was--again. But I just set it off to the side to keep warm.

I also did some mushrooms on the side burner in a little butter.

Sams had some decent looking NY strips when I was there the other day, I may have to check to see if they've still got them tomorrow.

I plan to try my first chicken on the rotisserie over the weekend, and I've got a 13 pound brisket (before trimming) curing, I'll smoke it on Wednesday using a variant on Montreal Smoked Meat spices (but no garlic.)

If it stays as cool as projected (82 high) I'll probably make some burger buns tomorrow.

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Glad you're enjoying the grill Mike!It's extremely hot here so no grilling now.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

On really hot days we usually either have something cold (like a salad or sandwich) or something on the grill outdoors.

When tomato season gets here, and that's likely to be late this year based on how slow the tomatoes are growing, we tend to do a lot of salami and tomato sandwiches but the tomatoes available at the stores aren't the best for those. The roadside stands are starting to open up, probably with tomatoes grown in Kansas.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

We had taco salad tonight.

We're lucky about 2 miles down the road from us friends have opened up a nice vegetable stand and we've been enjoying good tomatoes,peas,watermelon and squash etc.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

Did burgers on the new grill tonight, I need to play around with the timing a bit, mine was where I wanted it, Diane's was still a little under what she prefers. However, the surface wasn't burnt to a crisp like the last few were on the old grill, so that's a big improvement.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

How lovely to have a fresh vegetable stand down the road, Joan.

Mike--sounds like that new grill is working out well.

I made yogurt on Saturday.

For dinner on Saturday, I used leftover pork from last night's dinner, along with the deglazing liquid to make a stir-fry with soba noodles, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, green onion, mushrooms, and broccoli. I keep waiting for our snow peas to develop, or else for some to show up at the farmers' market.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I made tostados tonight.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.