What are You Cooking the Week of June 19, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of June 19, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made a special Father's Day dinner for my husband of maple-glazed pork tenderloin, muddled mashed potatoes, microwaved fresh broccoli, and applesauce that I froze last December. We had cherry pie for dessert.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I sauteed some zucchini, red bell pepper, jalapeno, shredded carrot and Italian sausage, then added some chopped fresh tomato and let it simmer for a few minutes, served it over pasta. It was pretty good.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

We had a Mexican casserole today with bread and butter.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The new gas grill is here, but it uses a different sized quick-connect valve, so we need to get a plumber out to work on the gas pipe.

chocomouse
            Participant

Joan, great cooks think alike! I made a "stacked taco" casserole for dinner tonight. I wanted to use up some corn tortillas, so layered them with ground beef, black beans, corn, peppers, onions, taco seasoning, salsa, and shredded cheese. We have leftovers for two more meals. I prefer the fresh "make your own" taco style or a taco salad, but this would be a great dish for a potluck. What did you put into your Mexican casserole?

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I wound up having a salad with tuna on it. Diane is having some lavash with melted cheese on it.

Joan Simpson
                Participant

For the Mexican casserole I scrambled hamburger with onions,seasoned with salt and pepper,heated some picante sauce with half enchilada sauce and a few jalapenos then layered corn tortillas cut in quarters,a layer of hamburger,layer cheese and sauce .I repeat this 3 times topped with cheese and bake at 350* 20-25 minutes and we like it topped with a big dollop of sour cream.You could add beans and corn but I don't..We love Mexican food and love it hot and spicy.If I have any of this left I'll put it on a flour tortilla and roll up,so good.

Chocomouse our food sounds about the same .

RiversideLen
                  Participant

That sounds delicious, Joan!

I sauteed a zucchini, a little red bell pepper, a jalapeno and ground beef, then added a jar of pasta sauce and simmered it until the veggies were done. Had it over pasta. Also a salad.

chocomouse
                    Participant

Yes, Joan, our dishes were very much the same! But I do think yours was a bit hotter than ours!!

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

Len, your supper sounds good too.

Tonight we had hamburger steaks with sauteed onions and gravy.I browned the hamburgers with onions and cooked till almost done,took hamburgers up made a flour gravy put them back in and in the oven for a few minutes till I finished the mashed poataoes and green beans.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

The new grill is hooked up and ready to go, so we're having steaks and crab-stuffed mushrooms for supper.

During the burn-in the temperature dial was over 800, so this one gets really hot, I'm looking forward to trying some pizzas in it.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Sounds like a great grilling season is ahead, Mike!

For dinner on Tuesday, I made the turkey, spinach loaf, using two pounds of ground turkey. (I usually use a 20 oz. package, but I had two one-pound packages. I doubled the egg to two but reduced the doubled milk to ½ cup. We will get either one or two more meals out of it. To go with the meatloaf, I sauteed a pound of sliced mushrooms in a bit of avocado oil, then added the defatted drippings from the chicken I roasted last week, and the broth I made from the giblets, along with sliced carrots, and the rest of the fresh broccoli. I tossed it with linguini.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

Diane had a filet, I had a T-bone, we did 8 crab-stuffed mushrooms and then we topped it off using the grill to heat marshmallows for smores. (Both steaks came in packages of two, so we'll have steaks again in another 2-3 days.)

This reminds me of the summer we bought 100 pounds of NY Strip steaks at the public TV auction, when we picked it up at one of the packing plants near Omaha we found it was 10 full uncut strips. So I spent the better part of an afternoon cutting steaks, wrapping them in freezer paper and putting them in the freezer.

For the rest of the summer, every few days we'd get out a NY Strip steak or two for supper. It got to the point where we'd all say, "What, NY Strip--again??"

The container says the crab has to be eaten within 2 days of when the package is opened, so we're thinking of something like crab alfredo for tomorrow. (This was the crab at Costco, which is quite good.)

The grill is well and truly christened.

I ordered some Prague #1 pink salt, I plan to try making Montreal Smoked Meat, I found a recipe that starts by having you cure the brisket for 4 days using a rub that includes Prague #1, then rinse it, put a different rub on, smoke it for 6-8 hours, then steam it to give it that fall-apart tenderness that you get with good pastrami.

RiversideLen
                              Participant

I had a large salad and leftover pasta sauce with bow tie pasta.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Our dinner tonight was grilled chicken thighs (with Foxpoint seasoning), roasted potatoes, asparagus, and leftover bean salad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.