What are You Cooking the Week of June 12, 2022?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of June 12, 2022?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

For Sunday dinner, I will be making salmon patties, which we will have on Wheat-Oat Flax Buns, along with a salad.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

We had hamburger steaks with fries.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I may have to go pick something up for supper, the last of the semolina bread is gone. But after breakfast at McDonalds and lunch at the university cafeteria, I don't want a big dinner.

chocomouse
          Participant

We had grilled salmon, asparagus, leftover wild rice, and onion-wild rice bread.

BakerAunt
            Participant

The weather in our area has been great this year for strawberries, after two years when there were none or just a few. We ate our way through two quarts last week. At $6 a quart, they are not inexpensive, but the flavor is so wonderful that I consider it a worthy indulgence. (I refuse to buy commercial strawberries in the grocery anymore, although if desperate, I will buy frozen ones.) I bought two more quarts last Saturday. With the weather turning hot this week, I may not get any more. On Monday afternoon, I made strawberry jam and canned it. I got four 1-cup jars and one half-cup jar. These will be welcomed in the winter.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

Tonight we had stew beef with onions and mushrooms in gravy over rice and cooked carrots,I also made another salad of sliced cucumbers,onion and tomatoes with vinegar,oil, sugar and a little salt and pepper.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Our new gas grill will be delivered on Monday, I'm already making a mental list of things I want to try on it, including baking some bread.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

I cooked sausage,black eyed peas,potato salad and corn bread.

BakerAunt
                    Participant

My husband recently put up two long shelves in the kitchen. I use the lower one to hold jars with beans, pasta, and grains. It is both decorative and practical, as it allows me to track what I have on hand. For Tuesday's dinner, I decided to use up the last of some large Bob's Red Mill Lima beans that were on the shelf. I had soaked them overnight, then cooked them today. While they cooked, I made brown rice in the rice cooker. In another pot, I sauteed some sliced celery in avocado oil, before adding some pork deglazing liquid that I had frozen. I had found some lovely salad turnips at the farmers' market last Saturday, and I added the tops to steam in the liquid. Meanwhile, I added the last of some ham I had frozen to the cooked lima beans, along with 1 Tbs. dehydrated onion. I added the bean mixture to the larger pot, along with freshly ground black pepper. I tasted it, then added about 2 tsp. cider vinegar. I mixed in the rice, and dinner was done. Both my husband and stepson complimented me, and I also found it delicious.

chocomouse
                      Participant

Mike, one of my first forays into baking breads on the grill is the Asiago Rounds recipe on KAF. I like them split horizontally and stuffed with veggies of your choice.

RiversideLen
                        Participant

I made a batch of sloppy Joe on Sunday. This consisted of lean ground beef, onion, sweet red bell pepper, a couple of jalapenos, fresh tomato and tomato paste to thicken it. A boatload of veggies.

sloppy-joe-mix

So, on Sunday and today, I had a sloppy Joe and a large salad. Yesterday I was invited to my neighbors for dinner, she made spaghetti and meat sauce and a salad. She made the meat sauce with canned tomato and stew meat that she simmered in the slow cooker for about 6 hours. It was really good.

Attachments:
                          You must be logged in to view attached files.
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I did some baking on the old grill some years ago, some things came out pretty good, some looked like they had inconsistent heat. I know I tried baguettes and honey wheat bread, maybe a few other things.

I might try Hamelman's semolina bread on the grill. Bread won't be among the first things I try, I need to figure out how hot it gets, where the hot spots are, and how well I can control the temperature first.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Len I love sloppy Joe anytime, one of my favorites.

Tonight we had taco salad.

Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

We're having a light meal again tonight, lunch at the seminar tends to be our big meal of the day.

chocomouse
                                Participant

Dinner tonight was Cavatappi and sauce, with sweet Italian sausage, mushrooms, peppers, and onions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.